List of bugs in IC drawing package

bmckelvie

Thought it would be a good time to report these, they make using the drawing package really difficult for manufacturing. 

1. chamfer callout tool constantly loses its association.  Every time I update the drawing I have to delete and remake the chamfer

2. Thread lines from Hole tool only show up when I click hidden edges on then turn it off again.  Then they stay until the next drawing update and I need to do it again.

3. If I use the cosmetic thread tool after I already have a drawing made the drawing will not ever show the cosmentic thread line.  I need to delete the view and add it again.

4. Angle dimension will not work randomly.  It refuses to select the edges in the model to make the dimension.

5. If I use the reattach dimensions, or the drawings needs to update it sometimes loses all dimensions references and I have to remake the dimensions, or occasionally it will find them again if i use the automated tool

6. On drawing updates it frequently loses centerlines. They are just gone, and I need to remake them.  

General annoyances/ usability bugs 

1. Threaded hole/Hole callout tool is useless.  I do not want every view and every assembly to show all my threads, and I don't want to click through and hide all of them on all drawings until I finally get to the drawing that needs the callout.   If there is a threadcall out, it should be hidden until i use the hole callout tool and then that should show it.  So i tend to tell the hole tool to not transfer the callout and then I manually make it in the drawing.  This is BAD because if i ever change the hole I have to manually remember what type of thread it is using and write it in manually.

angle tool.png

Chamfer.png

lost associations.png

I agree with several of your findings -

4. I do find the angle dimension a bit haphazard in what it will allow you to select.

5. The automated tool to reattach dimensions can sometimes completely miss, and mangled dimensions result.  For our drawings I do find it does work better with the match range set to 0.01 not the default 0.001.  Individual dimensions can have their attachment points edited back to the correct positions though, but occasionally i do find it quicker just to delete the dimension and place new one.

6.  Yes, hole centers just disappear, sometimes jut one or more, they have to be replaced.  If this happens with a view update and its a dimension to a hole center that disconnects, if you replace the center first the automated tool will usually find it.

• Thanks 1

For Bill C,

Video of the steps, it also caught Ironcad losing its chamfer so 2 bugs in one video!

The only thing that the video did not capture was when i linked the feature from one end of the tube to the other.  I chose link, not copy

I will make a video for Kevin Next

Bug3.ics Bug3.icd

Kevin I tried capturing 5, I started videoing it losing its dimension references which it did on more that one drawing with absolutely no changes to the model file,  tried dragging them to reattach, when it does not work i became frustrated, deleted them (the normal way I reattach dims because it is really hard to get ironcad to fix broken dims) and started to make new ones, when I found a new bug, instead of placing ordinate dimensions it started adding them to the wrong point and no matter where I clicked it would place the same wrong dimension.

so 2 more bugs in one video.

Edited by bmckelvie

Video of 4,  I show how the tools works when it does work, then when I try to dimension the V, it just can't find the edge.  

I can't send that file on a public forum, but the V is cut with a sweep going around an Oval, when I make the 90 degree dim, it is clearly finding the original outside that was cut away by the sweep. So it may have something to do with sweeps.   I tested by cutting through the swept part with a hollow block, the angle tool was able to find that new edge.  So I am confident it does not find the swept edge

I can't get a video of 6,  it is random and unpredictable.  But happens at least once per hour for me.

Sorry this took so long, but I have it now.

What you can't see in the video, (It appears to not record the addon properties menu) Is i picked 6mm x 1 hole.  I initially forgot to click transfer threads to drawing so I had to go back and do that.   Then the way to make the bug show up is to place 3 views, looking straight at the hole, the side and then the back view.  The threads will not show up on the back view until you click hidden threads, then you can un select hidden and they will stay there.

The behavior in the side view makes sense, although they threads should go away the second hidden is turned off, the behavior in the back view does not, the threads should always show if the threads are all the way through the part. 

Ok! After taking a look I found the reason your cosmetic threads are not showing up on that back view. When making the hole, make sure to set the Hole Extent to Through All if the hole is intended to go through your geometry. Then they will show up on view creation. This isn't a work around but intended behavior.

If you would like, the fact that the cosmetic threads do not hide when Hidden Edges is turned off can be filed as an enhancement. Let me know if this helps!

image.png

On 4/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, bmckelvie said:

For Bill C,

Video of the steps, it also caught Ironcad losing its chamfer so 2 bugs in one video!

The only thing that the video did not capture was when i linked the feature from one end of the tube to the other.  I chose link, not copy

I will make a video for Kevin Next

Bug3.ics 116 kB · 0 downloads Bug3.icd 328 kB · 0 downloads

thank you.  I was able to reproduce (actually in IC2018). 

• 3 months later...