3D aerial 'drone imaging and 3D Integration

ITAYLOR

Hi all

Preamble: Following my hiatus, hello again.

A few months ago I finally subscribed to latest IC upgrade (with imech and keyshot) but as yet haven't had a chance to even check it out. Looking foreward to a new learning curve this year.

LAST YEAR I was asked to design a conceptual 3D model of a World War 2 style 'gun shelter' to cover an existing  WWii gun at an ANZAC memorial centre. Interesting project, lets see what IronCAD can do!

20191027_183138.thumb.jpg.f94c76b0969836c76f9f829cb94cd27f.jpg

Photo above doesn't show original footings but I needed to ascertain where their true R.L. heights and spacial locations are before commencing design. One thing led to another... enter Chris, a genious who does Drone photography and aerial mapping. Check out this wow link.

https://tgmodels.blob.core.windows.net/demomodels/191116-FortsGun/App/index.html?scene=191116mFortsGun&cX=-99.5798&cY=-99.4052&cZ=-30.6109&upX=0.0000&upY=0.0000&upZ=1.0000&tX=-98.4764&tY=-101.0682&tZ=-31.5253#%2F

Chis sent me the oringinal file of this project [huge size with all image tiles] so that I could use its spacial geometry points to locate the footings instead of trudging up the hill with dumpy level etc.

I managed to import the huge file into IronCAD, but found the drone technology seems to be surfaces, not solids [thousands of images to make a real 3d representation]. In Chri's software, the footings are accurate to like a millimeter, so I assumed I could just load the model into IronCAD and start drawing. But not so... I don't seem to be able to get IronCAD to recognise any surface, can't get it to click to anything like Chris's software that produces the moidel.

To help get your mind around his drone software, Chris also aerial droned an Alumina refinery (or Aluminum to you guys, is it?]. The drone photography gave a walkthrough model from the the huge building, even inside down to platforms and even to the fine details of pumps and electrical switches etc. As it happens I once worked in that refinery and knew the size of the nuts on the pumps, 32mm, incredibly his program measured them at 31mm - not bad for a fly around 9with thousand of photos assembled into a 3d model]. All a bit beyond me, I may bail out yet?

I bailed out of the job as another drafty beat me to it by submitting a beautiful concept drawing which impressed the stakeholders, but he is only good at 'Concept' design and not so great at actual nuts and bolts fabrication to the mm stuff. We still do not have the actual footing locations. I do have them inside the drone file but am unable to get IronCAD to read them. Surprised, last week I was offered possibility again to do the job as thge concept guy supplied no REAL data.

Other than a few concept projects and one real fabrication job involving a dozen steel columns, this would be my second real job using IronCAD 3D. Learning to love it by the way.

REQUEST

After 4 months working out woop woop I will be away another week... but thought I would just put this out there as a challenge to see what IronCAD can really do. I am sure ther must be a way to read the drone file.

Is anybody willing to have a go at downloading the Drone file of the gun drone model [if I uploaded it to say Google Drive for you to access - its large], and see if you can find a way to attach an IC shape [eg Slab drag and drop base plate] to the footings in the pit of of the model... ie. the cannon concrete foundations.  If we can do that, I think I can find a bit of future work for my IronCAD and Chris.

Thanks from the bottom of downunder

Ian

Hi Ian,

From the description, it sounds like the data is not really surfaces but graphical representation like Facet data. If you want to share a link with support@ironcad.com, we can take a look to verify. If this is the case, you can't really snap to the facet points. You can convert them to a solid which will product a fairly facetted solid/suface but it would then be able to hit the points. I would not recommend converting all of it rather just the areas you need to reference. Happy to take a look.

Looks like a cool project!

Best Regards,

Cary