Dimensioning

bbuche

When 2019 came out and they switched the dimensioning it was one of the worst decisions I believe ironcad has ever made.

When I place a dimension I should not have to hit the green check or zoom out to see my dimension was placed correctly. In the

future I would like for IC not to break things for the small amount of people that ask for "features" and keep them the same. Instead

make them an option as to not piss off the ones that thought it was ok in the first place.

Thanks rant over...……….. for now

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think what you are seeing is that in 2018, you could only place one dimension at a time. Then there were extra steps if you wanted to add text, or change a style, etc.  And you could only do one dimension at a time which was a slower process.  In 2019, the new feature allows users to continue dimensioning without ever having to leave the smart dimension tool.  It is so much quicker and fluid to be able to stay in the tool and has saved a tremendous amount of time when adding a lot of dimensions onto a sheet.  I know this answer probably does not help with not liking how it is handled now, but my hope is that it at least helps explain why the change was made. 

RJ

But why should I have to exit the command for anything to show up. That is horrible for work flow. I

click two points and my dimension should show up. I click two more and that should show up. It used

to be this way forever until someone complained and made a suggestion that they didn't like how every

other cad platform worked. This is also horrible for when you do string dimensions off of one another.

You cant see where the first one is placed and then all the subsequent dimensions are placed off the

first one that is in the wrong place. Dimensioning is horrible in a program that relies on dimensioning.

A couple of issues or new behaviors that have showed up connected to new functions on the SmartDimension tool in the ICD. I don't know if these are related, but they might be.

A ) If you have long objects and large scale (1:100, 1:200 and more) the dimension text can be placed far off the sheet and you must zoom out/in quite much and often, to place it where you want. I think this is due to the dimension text and the mouse cursor that is automatically moved to the "center" between the points that you dimension. If the mouse cursor wouldn't always move to the center of the dimension, it would probably "feel" better?

B ) The Unlock Dimension Text function (also U key on the keyboard while placing the dimension) is another of these "automatically move dimension text and mouse cursor" functions that you might not be aware of and which can be unwanted.

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna