3D Curves in IC 6

Guest tcooksey

Guest tcooksey

Back a while ago I posted a question as to how to import 3D curve data into Iron Cad for use in building surfaces. The response was that you could import a coordinate point file in. This actually works pretty well from Rhino 3, but is a bit cumbersome when bringing in a significant number of curves.

For grins, I extracted a wireframe from a surface in Rhino and exported it as an iges file. This file imports in IC 6 as a single part? even though it is just a bunch of curves. If you then set your selection tool to edges, you can pick individual curves in the wireframe. Right clicking then allows you to convert it into an IC 3D curve. The resulting curve is very nice and clean and very editable. I have yet to build some surfaces, but was so enthused that I thought I would share this with the community.

I am not sure if this was available in the previous versions ( I thought I had tried this before without any luck ) and there does not seem to be any documentation in 6 describing this.

This thread may have been more appropriate in the tips, but since I started the original thread in the general discussion, I thought it would okay to continue it here.

This definitely opens some really good possibilities.

Graet job IC guys.

Troy Cooksey

Guest tcooksey

Some additional findings:

I have also found that a Step file of a wireframe works equally as well.

Wireframe curves can also be projected onto 2D shape drawing grids.

I was able to create surfaces with the 3D curves that were extracted in this manner and was able to create a solid that could be shelled, blended, and have standard intellishapes added to it.

Troy Cooksey