Quadro P2000 awful performance

lc2704

I've recently switched from a workstation PC with a Quadro K620, to a HP zBook 15 with i7 and Quadro P2000.

On every other CAD-based software I've used the the HP is significantly faster, but on IronCAD innovate 2016 the performance is awful. Even loading small models in tanks the performance and anything more than that the software becomes unusable.

Does any one have any suggestions as to how I can improve the performance in IronCAD?

Thanks

So it seems the 'advanced OpenGL2 / Direct 3D' renderer doesn't work with the P2000, it instead uses the Intel integrated graphics, even if it force it to use the P2000 in Nvidia control panel. Changing to standard OpenGL has fixed this.

Strange as I have other software using OpenGL 2 renderer and they work just fine.

Hi, 

I have a Dell Precision Laptop using the P2000 Nvidia. It is using the card with the Advance OpenGL/Direct X. Attached are my settings in the Tools/Options. Make sure to download the Nvidia Control Panel and set IronCAD to use the Nvidia card and not the integrated card. I also use the Nvidia GPU Monitor to verify that it is set correctly (You can enable that in the Nvidia Control Panel to display the GPU activity in the notification area). Also try to run IronCAD as administrator (right-click on the icon and select Run as Administrator) to make sure all the registry settings are set. What is the driver version of your card? 

image.png  image.png  image.png  image.png

I would strongly recommend you to disable the integrated Intel graphics chip under the BIOS settings. It isn't even sure the driver settings really work, because it seems like Windows steers the graphics to always use the Intel graphics and not your dedicated (or discrete graphics, as HP calls it) graphics card, no matter what settings you think you are using. I'm not confident about this, it is more of a "feeling". Though one large and well known CAD developer has recently "certified" the Integrated Intel graphics, which lead to a local HP reseller having to always manually disable the Intel graphics, to be sure their machines work as their customer would expect.

I've talked with 4-5 users running brand new Dell Precision laptops the last few weeks and on a couple of them (one was a 7530 with Quadro P320) the Nvidia graphics was actually disabled under BIOS from scratch!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, Cary OConnor said:

Hi, 

I have a Dell Precision Laptop using the P2000 Nvidia. It is using the card with the Advance OpenGL/Direct X. Attached are my settings in the Tools/Options. Make sure to download the Nvidia Control Panel and set IronCAD to use the Nvidia card and not the integrated card. I also use the Nvidia GPU Monitor to verify that it is set correctly (You can enable that in the Nvidia Control Panel to display the GPU activity in the notification area). Also try to run IronCAD as administrator (right-click on the icon and select Run as Administrator) to make sure all the registry settings are set. What is the driver version of your card? 

Thanks. It looks like on the version i'm running I don't have the DX11 Option. I just have Advanced Open GL2/Direct 3D renderers. I am running driver 425.53, all other Nvidia settings are the same. Using the Nvidia GPU monitor I can see the P2000 isn't being utilized when the renderer is set as one of the said two options, but it does get used on the basic OpenGL option.

We're unable to disable the integrated graphics as we're using 2 additional monitors on a dock, so the laptop screen runs off the Intel chip. (Or so i'm told)

On my laptop, I do not have the integrated card disabled in the Device Manager Intel. I have set the Nvidia control panel to force IronCAD to use the High Performance Nvidia Processor. I updated my driver to the same version you have and in the Driver Type in IronCAD. I have the following options which I set it to Direct X11: 

image.png

When I run IronCAD and start a scene, it will use the Nvidia graphics. I have multiple monitors as well (3 - Laptop and two connected monitors). You can look at this article for a few other suggestions - https://www.trickyways.com/2019/07/how-to-force-an-app-to-use-dedicated-gpu-windows/

I'm not sure if there is a specific HP setting to force the graphics as well. 

Cary