Sheetmetal form across a corner

mmccall

I have been trying to find a method of creating a form or bead across a corner for some time now... It finally came to me.

I have to mention a few of the flaws.

1) The features used to create the corner bead are not truly part of the base sheetmetal part because of how they are created, nor will the bead follow the resulting edge when flattened, but when you think about it ... how can it!

2) When unfolding the part, you are left with a hole in the sheetmetal part across the bend. This is not a problem since for the 2d drawing you can simply create a configuration showing the flat pattern void of all the unecessary features

3) I haven't found a way to make the inner edges nice and rounded.

4) The features are created across 2 separate pieces... therefore they cant be merged or assembled into one grouped feature so... you have to move them both

Despite the flaws, I choose to use a true sheetmetal part for a few good reasons. Surely it would have taken half the time to make a block with all the necessary features and begin carving and shelling away, but that wouldn't have given me the same freedom in the end.

By using a sheetmetal feature from the start, I still have access to all the neat tools in the sheetmetal menue and most importantly , I can check the flat pattern !!

Now ... to the process

1) First you will have your sheetmetal corner

2) use a hole from the solids menu to cut across the corner ( any degree you wish)

3) place a cylinder in the same location as the angled hole ... half of a cylinder... ust the tribal to locate everything .... the angled hole has a location point at the sharp apexes.

4) cut a hole through the half cylinder feature.... make its size smaller by whatever sheetmetal thickness you chose.

5) cut away all the leftover material ... I used a hollow block and simply changed its profile by using the edge of the sheetmetal part as my guide shape... ie use edges of the sheetmetal part.

6) Now we come to the reason for using features from the shapes menu... you would find it quite difficult to use the blend edges command on a sheet metal part ! using this method we need to blend the edges so everything will smooth out. Of course this would not have been a problem if I choose to make it out of a solid block and then carve away as needed But I already explained my reasons

The end result... color coordinate as needed.... modify it any way you like.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=302

Let me know if there is a problem downloading the file...

Conclusion:

If anyone has a better method please share it.

I need help from Ironcad !!!

SURELY SOMEBODY OUT THERE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE THIS A TOOL IN THE SHEETMETAL MENU!

post-1330-1135-9434.jpg_thumb

post-1330-1135-6114.jpg_thumb

post-1330-1135-6045.jpg_thumb

post-1330-1135-7955.jpg_thumb

cornerform.tif

post-1330-1135-7331.jpg_thumb

cornerform.ics