How do I change the thickness of this?

LeapsofFaith

Hi guys, first time user.  I'm working on a build I'm putting together, and I ran into what's potentially a noob issue.  See, I'm trying to edit this piece to make it thinner however I can't seem to figure out what needs done to allow me to do this.  Could someone point me in the right direction?  The purpose is to incorporate the mechanics of a remote control's battery cover (the kind with a push tab of sorts), and I need the thicker end to be a bit thinner.

panel.stl

Welcome to the community.

Do you mean that you want the wall thickness thinner? You may be able to simply shell it and you can used define which faces you want to be what thicknesses or you can uniform shell the entire object. The .stl file you posted is not native to IC as far as i can tell, but it is a hard geometry to work with because of the way it is built. See below after converted to solid. Good Luck

P.S. - As Cary pointed out, your best bet is to remake the part in IC because this will save you time in the long run and probably a lot of it, Thanks.

image.thumb.png.ba28f115d4028dbb730fe0a7fce50e32.png

Edited by SSIMMONS
Additional Information
  • Like 1

Hello,

I see the model is an STL which is a little more difficult to edit from our normal solid data (as mentioned above). I looked at converting this to a solid to allow editing but it creates a highly faceted model which will make it difficult to work with. If you want to see what I mean, go to tools options and under Parts, change the default kernel to ACIS. Then select to the part level of your STL model and right-click to select "Convert to Solid". Once that is done, you will see the faceted model I meant. You can try to select the outline to create a surface and rebuild the model. It will require a fair amount of effort. 

Cary