Super Holes using Section Part/Assembly

Guest bkline

I create lots of parts that have mating holes for pins and screws. It was always a hassle to drag a hole from the catalog for each part, edit its diameter, and align the holes to each other. If the location of one hole or part changed, the other hole would have to be manually moved.

If parts are in the same assembly, its possible to create just one hole that will cut through whatever it touches by using the Modify>Section Part/Assembly command. In the Section Part/Assembly command, select the face for the hole to cut and change the drop down menu to Block. Click on the green dot to finish the command. Your part(s) should now be cut with the block. Next, click down on the block to the intellishape level and edit the cross section as you would any other cutting shape. The block can be turned off by right clicking and hiding it. Now parts can be moved and the hole is always aligned between them.

Hmm, that's a curious use for that tool. I never thought about using a section shape as if it were an intellishape...good idea man.

I'm double checking with R&D about whether there are any potential bad things that can happen from working in this manner. The only thing I can think of is that other intellishapes can not interact with this. But man, I can even put a blend on the edge that the section shape created...it sure looks good...

• 8 months later...
Guest gstuart

Great Idea. I just tried your suggestion and it works well. However when I tried to create a hole table and selected the "Section Part/Assembly" hole a center was created (and subsequent hole table entry) that was off my part. I was working in Acis and when I changed to Parasolids the hole table reported correct position.

Gary