Galvanised (or Zinc) materials

ITAYLOR

Of all the dozens of metals in the materials folder (perhaps over 300)... I cannot find one that is Galvanised. I searched Galv, and Zinc with no returns. Aslo, search the community with only one unrelated sheet metal return.

Is it just me or is every second catalogue material the same shade of greyish blue (what am I missing?) in tryng to get a genuine galvanised iron look. Is there a way to load materials?

This could be tricky but someone might have a better idea. What you can do is choose a item on the Materials catalog that represent the closest/nearest material property on the catalog. Next, copy and paste with in the catalog. Next rename is as Galvanize Steel or Galvanized Iron by to LMB clicks. Next, RMB click the item

Galvanize.png

Select Edit Catalog Item

Edit_material.png

On the Color Tab as an example either select image texture if you have a a galvanized image or select More Colors to get the shade you want. The hardest part here scene lights, background color can influence the hue on the material, so it requires patience. Also play around with Finish settings. Also check the Material tab so the Material property mass density is correct so you can reuse this material on other models.

Once you achieve your aim, you will be ask to save to save the material catalog since it was modified, save on your work folder.

This is what I think that can be done on your end.

Any other suggestions on the community will be appreciated.

Thanks Kev & Joli.

Kevin's video was a super quick fix.

Thanks too Joli... I will document and play around with that as it looks like deeper skills I will eventually need.

That 'new materials' tip was a winner... (and Joli's method taught me loads too so have been experimenting patiently blink.gif )... but am stuck at getting the Gal texture to show true scale on smaller items.

Pic below show the Gal texture on both a 500mm cube and on a smaller sized item.

NB: Settings are same on BOTH (I did both exactly as Kev's video).

But on the skinny upright it seems to be streaky and muddy. In Sketchup there is a tool that 'scales' the image to allow the texture to show on large or small items as required. Not from lack of trying and research (and thanks again for all the help on this site making my IronCAD experience)... but I cannot find how to do this in the 'New Materials' library...

I had some success importing a texture to copy and pasted catalgue I created as Joli taught (but a ways to go on refining that too). The goal is to make the upright look galvanised (not streaky/blurred). Is there a one button texture scale function behind the scenes somewhere?

post-73299-1526083170_thumb.jpg

Here is the file in case that helps

Rack_Glavanised_Texture.ics

Edited by ITAYLOR

Hi Ian,

Good to know you are delving to produce your materials. I'll see if can tweak it on my end as I will check shader on google https://www.google.com/search?q=shader+nois...iw=1228&bih=819

Use_shader.png

With a further tweak

Use_shader_property.png

and probably play/test with

Finish_Metallic_highlight.png

Also use this scene settings template that was shared in this forum

White_warehouse.ics

warehouse.jpg

See how it develops on my end.

regards - joseph

Edited by jolizon590016

Keyshot is well worth the money.

Here's a galv hooded HEPA terminal. The trick is to get the scale of the image right. By memory, it's about a 20th of the standard image in the keyshot library, but it only takes a few seconds to get it right.

SFDLA_CA_66_ATR250_Galv.197.jpg

Nice image

KeyShot is great

47561[/snapback]

Yep - here is the back of a Magnehelic Gage I drew up just for the hell of it and rendered in Keyshot. It's almost real.

kstmp11970050.2.jpg