Match Face to the face - not to the "hole"

JPAJERCHIN

Right. Thank you.

...I knew that it should be easy.

Anyway

When designing inside the assembly - other CADs has possibility to extrude "up to faces" of the other parts & keep "mated" such connection.

Is it possible to do it aslo in the IronCAD ?

...it is reasonable and very helpfull for the steel constructions, for example.

From my understanding, most other systems do not allow the extrude to face between parts unless you are working in a Structured Body mode. Meaning that you are in a single part that has multiple bodies that represent individual part (which can be saved out independently).

The reason it is not supported with association between parts it is difficult to maintain the association especially when you have external linked files. For example: If you open the external linked file independently, how will it know to maintain a reference to another file not open. Yes you can try to add intelligence to it to try to maintain, but it gets compounded when the file is linked into many other files.

In IronCAD, you can extrude to face within the same part and you can use Structured Part Bodies if you want to create a case similar to what I described above.

I hope that helps explain it.

Thanks

Cary

• 1 month later...

Cary - you wrote:

"In IronCAD, you can extrude to face within the same part and you can use Structured Part Bodies if you want to create a case similar to what I described above"

Only small note:

If there is possible for Inovative parts to trim part (by other part) - it is reasonable (for inovative parts) to have possibility to extend part to the selected face of the other part (without mating of course).

Otherwise the user has to manually extend the part and then use the Trim feature to get requested result = 2 steps instead of simple 2 clicks