How big is my model?

bbraho

Thank you.

We've got a process line model covering 850' x 120' of floor space. Currently it has 13,000 parts. The model is still very functional. I was worried we might be pushing some limit on amount of detail.

"The sales line" - IC's modeling speed is allowing a virtual mock-up of equipment on a scale other engineering companies wouldn't consider.

It looks like we could add a considerable amount more detail (2-3x) over the next months.

We'll probably have to buy a better graphics card.

Thank you.

We've got a process line model covering 850' x 120' of floor space.  Currently it has 13,000 parts.  The model is still very functional.  I was worried we might be pushing some limit on amount of detail. 

"The sales line" - IC's modeling speed is allowing a virtual mock-up of equipment on a scale other engineering companies wouldn't consider.

It looks like we could add a considerable amount more detail (2-3x) over the next months.

We'll probably have to buy a better graphics card.

41488[/snapback]

We are starting to hear the same information from many customers about this assembly size. There are even some improvements in 2016 that could extend this even more by using a lightweight representation of the 3D Geometry (which you can easily convert to the real data when needed for modifications and such).

If you have some samples or screenshots you can share, that would be great! We can also reference for some other future developments we are looking into.

Best Regards,

Cary

There are also two other options for checking the amount of parts.

1) Use the Search tools under the Search tab in the Scene Browser. Select what to search for and then search for Name contains "nothing". You can also choose to search for assemblies or features only.

Search.png

2) Use the Count Parts tool in the IronPRO XT / upcoming IronCAD Mechanical add-on tools.

CountParts.png

I've seen assemblies having over 50 000 parts which haven't had any problems, neither to open or to work (edit, move, copy/link etc) with in 3D. As long as you make sure to use internal (and external) links when parts really are the same it shouldn't be an issue. I have a simple example when a 50 MB file became 1 MB just by using internal links instead of copies. Performance on graphics and editing was a huge difference on the two files, containing the "same" things.

Count Parts You can use the option to change the kernel modeling "switch kernel"

Typ Komputera: Stacjonarny

Procesor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00GHz 3.00Ghz

Pamięć Ram: 4GB

Karta Graficzna: Nvidia GeForce GT 9800 1GB

Klasyfikacja wydajności: 5,9

Dysk Twardy: Samsung HD502HI ATA

System Operacyjny: Windows 7 PRO

40000.png