Unlinking an externally linked assembly

Eric Foy

Is there somewhere an exhaustive description of just what are all the ramifications of this?

post-62195-1420337506_thumb.jpg

My specific questions:

1. Exactly what is a "relation?"

2. Will this affect other assembly files that link to the file being unlinked?

3. Are there any weird side-effects that will result from this operation?

Can somebody shed some light here?

Thanks.

Hi Eric. Unlinking an external file doesn't delete the external file. So if you have CAXA drawing files or other scene files referring to that external file then these won't be affected. When you unlink an external file within the current scene that you are working in, only the "link" between the scene part and external file is broken. You still have the external file. But now you have a separate standalone part within your current scene that is no longer linked to the original external file. If you make a change to the part in your active scene it will not affect the external file as it is no longer linked.

If I am starting a new project that is similar to a previous project I will often open the main assembly of the previous project, save as a new file, then remove all of the external links so that I end up with a single file containing all of the parts that I now want to manipulate. When I have finished making all of the design changes that I want (including part numbers etc...), then I save all of the parts within this single file as external files. From these individual external files I then create my CAXA drawings.

Malcolm