2d 3d Curve and/or Polyline Chain length

VBAYLIS

Hi Vic. Welcome to the forum.

Attached are images of 2 3D curves. One is open and the other closed. The measure the length of these you can use the "Measurement" tool. Be sure the select the properties tab in the scene browser on the left, and then select the type of measurement wanted. In this case it is the "Curve Measurement" button. Then click on the 3D curve to display the result in the property browser.

Malcolm

3D_Curve___Length_Measurement___1.png

3D_Curve___Length_Measurement___2.png

Attached is an image of a B-Spline 2D sketch.  From outside of the sketch select it in the property browser, then select extract 3D Curve.  From this 3D curve you can then measure the curve length.  I don't know how to measure inside the sketch itself.

39331[/snapback]

Hi Malcolm. I clicked late on that this was from you. Thanks for that.

I just could seem to get it. I was actually expecting that there was surely some simple way staring right at me. I am a little use to having dimensional properties constantly alive showing in a pallet along side the scene. I'll add in what I replied to the notification email.... to follow

cheers Vic

read on...

Thank you for that. I have got the hang of it. long winded though aye. I have come from what I thought was a simple program called TurboCad. Tried Solidworks and found that History based rubbish quite limiting and confining. IronCad is refreshing is very strong with its One space and easy edit in place. but I'm gonna tell you that apart from now working in a rendered scene. TurboCad was able to Punch through any problem. Easily virtually every tool is right at hand and measurement works along side you constantly. Easily place 2d or 3d items anywhere in space based on the 3 Cartesian Plane Grid. Easy component alignment. Iron Cad needs more Link pattern options than just single radial linear or rectangular. it needs capability of multiple varied steps. For a newbie I could really go on.

Thanks

Vic

post-65095-1415008559_thumb.jpgpost-65095-1415008898_thumb.jpg

Edited by VBAYLIS

You can measure a 2D arc or curve by using Smart Dimension in the 2D sketch mode. LMB click the start and the end and a point of the curve or arc. It doesn't work on multiple points of a polyline. Or you may select Arc Length Constraint option from the Smart Dimension drop down list.

measure_1.png

measure_2.png

measure_3.png

Cheers

Edited by jolizon590016

Cheers for that.

It was mainly that I could not see how to measure the overall length of a 2d Polyline (chain of combined lines and curves) until Malcolm showed me that I needed to use the Extract Curve tool to get the 3D Curve which can then be measured for chain length.

Thanks

Vic

Hi Vic,

When I moved from SOLIDWORKS to IRONCAD I did so because I needed greater versatility for the type of work that I do. Essentially, I thought that IRONCAD would be a better fit for my business, and that has proved to be the case.

However, for the first two years I would sometimes focus on what I couldn't do in IC, instead of what I could do. In my case I needed to adapt to work within the limitations of the software, while also improving my understanding of it's capabilities and how it does things.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

You're dead right. I am seeing that already.

Andrew gave me the excellent tip of using 2D sketch patterns to use as layout guides and references for alignments and pattern transfer. With that I got through a load more work today than I did yesterday.

Cheers