Expansion of Assemblies in Drawings

Eric Foy

So here's the problem:

In developing a drawing set, I have an assembly drawing in which subasseblies must be called out as "treat as part". In other words, they should not be expanded in the BOM on the top level assembly drawing.

But then, in the subassembly drawing of the same sub-assembly, the assembly needs to show in the BOM as "expand"ed.

The problem is that logically it only makes sense for these subassemblies to be *linked* into the top level scene.

So every time I go to edit a drawing, I need to change the "expand" or "treat as part" in order to get the BOM to render properly, depending on whether I am in the top level assy or the subassy drawing.

Is there a way to reconcile this, or am I stuck with this dilemma?

Hi Eric,

It is important that you change the Assembly Expansion in BOM setting, not just the "Treat as Part" and "Expand", but also if the setting should be set for all linked instances or just this one instance.

In the Top Assembly, the settings should be;

Treat as Part

Only this assembly

SubAssy_SettingsTopAssy.png

In the Sub Assembly, in the external file, the settings should be;

Expand

Only this assembly

SubAssy_SettingsSubAssy.png

These settings are not yet shown in the Property Browser for the assembly, only under the rm menu Assembly Properties. This makes it quite easy to miss, specially for newer users that hardly knows about the Property window for parts and assemblies. But I guess you still rm click to edit as you've always done? At least I'm still quite old fashioned there...

BOM.png

This way you will have a BOM showing the sub assy in only one row in the BOM for the top assy, but all parts/assy shown in the BOM for the sub assy.