Best way to draw perforated or expanded metal?

HDEAR

Many of our products use perforated or expanded metal screens and the like.

One part for example is a nominal 1200mm x 600 mm sheet from 1.2mm thick powder coated zintec with 10mm folded edges all around and the perforated pattern on the flat part of the sheet is 5mm dia holes at 6.5mm staggered centres.

The holes don't cover all the sheet, but even so there are 182 along the length x 96 across the width, making 17,472 holes in all. Then for one job, I have four of these screens to show, along with a whole pile of other sheet-metal work.

What's the best way to do this without giving my computer constipation? I tried using a 5mm surface instead of the holes, thinking this wouldn't take up so much memory, but it took ages.

I tried making a pattern to use as a paint-brush, but working out how to do this was a mission in total frustration and nearly ended with seeing how fast I could accelerate my computer through space.

Any pointers anyone? How do you guys show your perforated requirements?

Thanks

Harley

TILE_197.TIFTILE_205.TIFTILE_194.TIFTILE_195.TIF

Additional images, hope this helps

Once your done with a section that requires the holes, you may opt to copy the intellishape and suppress it for a future edit . While the other on display, combine the holes on the sheet so won't need to regenerate. However it makes it to a brep part.

Others may have a better work around on this.

Edited by jolizon590016

I made a "pattern" of 2D shapes that are circles, then used snipping tool to make a screenshot so it fits the surface as a decal.

Perf1.ics

Perf1.JPG

38973[/snapback]

Thanks. This is where I'm all at sea. I tried doing that but coudn't get the decal to size right nor get the pattern to repeat itself. What programme do you use to make the pattern? I have CorelDraw, PhotoPaint, InkScape and Photoshop.

Did you make a tif or png or similar files first?

How do you go about scaling it properly for the 'decal' and getting it to repeat?

If there are clear lessons on how to do this, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Many thanks guys and sorry for trying your patience all the time.

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

You got the right program tools to work with. I suggest convert it to .png so it is lighter. I usually start to apply it naturally and adjust the scaling factor if the holes project to big or small. Tom's work around is light on the resources. The Snipping tool is external and from Accessories, I hardly used it and this will only my second time to do so this way - thanks Tom.

regards to all - joseph

Edited by jolizon590016

Thanks.  This is where I'm all at sea.  I tried doing that but coudn't get the decal to size right nor get the pattern to repeat itself.  What programme do you use to make the pattern?  I have CorelDraw, PhotoPaint, InkScape and Photoshop. 

Did you make a tif or png or similar files first?

How do you go about scaling it properly for the 'decal' and getting it to repeat?

If there are clear lessons on how to do this, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Many thanks guys and sorry for trying your patience all the time.

Harley

38982[/snapback]

Hi Harley,

Sorry I explain a little better. What I did was...

- Draw to scale your sheet in IronCAD

- Drew the circles as a 2D shape in IronCAD to spec (186 along X)

- then made a pattern of a the 2D shape of circles in the Y axis 96

- Then turn off perspective and look at the top face using the "Look At" camera tool.

- Zoom to it fit my monitor screen the biggest it can.

- Oh I changed the color setting in options for 2D shapes to black and then right click on 2S shapes and "Filled"

- Then using the "Snipping tool" that comes with Windows to take a screenshot from one edge of the sheet to the other. and saved as a image for a decal.

- Then placing that image on the surface to the Natural setting will fit the decal to size.

I will see about a video if you need further clarification.

Cheers

Tom

- Drew the circles as a 2D shape in IronCAD to spec (186 along X)

38984[/snapback]

Tom, I assume by "186 along X" that to do all those first lot of circles, you would have to have made a linear pattern. I can't see linear pattern in the history tree, only pattern 9. Is there something obvious I am missing?

I will see about a video if you need further clarification.

Cheers

Tom

38984[/snapback]

Tom that would be great if you have the time. Many thanks, I appreciate it.

Harley

Edited by HDEAR

Harley.

I will make a video but in the meantime, I mad a 2D shape > drew a circle > and there's a linear pattern option in the Sketch command, so used that to make 186 circles > then finish. Then made a 3D pattern of the 2D shape ( 96 times) that consists of the 186 circles.

But liek I said I will make a video.

Cheers

Tom (Panhead):-)

BTW

The reason I used this approach becuase I cam make a "scaled" decal for system performance but mainly becuase if for some reason I need to make the actual holes in the part the geometry is all setup already and ready to use.