Elliptical Pattern

tlehnhaeuser

I am trying to create an offset edge pattern off an elliptical part. But I cant seem to make it happen.

I welcome any comments from anyone who can make this happen. The solution needs to be reasonable simply. If it takes too much setup it may not be worth it.

Thanks

Tom

ellipse_pattern.ics

38765[/snapback]

Your spacing unequal, so it has to be?

ellipse_pattern.ics

ellipse_pattern1.ics

Hi Tom,

I don't know if this works the way you want but I just extruded the sketch pattern and deleted it.

38772[/snapback]

Doug that works great. However Im not exactly sure how you got that to work. Anyway you can provide a video?

Also would your apprach worl for holes that are blind?

tom

Doug that works great. However Im not exactly sure how you got that to work. Anyway you can provide a video?

Also would your apprach worl for holes that are blind?

tom

38776[/snapback]

Tom,

I just edited the cross section and projected a copy of the holes then I hid your original ones. It doesn't work with blind holes this way though. I'm not sure what to do about that.

Doug

ellipse_pattern.7z

Ok i was close but it appearts this is a bug now. When I resize the ellipse only 2 of the 4 holes maintain the offset relationship.

see video

T

ellipse_pattern_2.avi

38785[/snapback]

Tom,

The holes will stay in proportion if you project the whole thing after you're done with the pattern. You probably already got that, but otherwise that does look like a bug with the pattern feature.

Doug

ellipse_pattern.7z

Tom,

The holes will stay in proportion if you project the whole thing after you're done with the pattern. You probably already got that, but otherwise that does look like a bug with the pattern feature.

Doug

38795[/snapback]

Thanks Doug

I really need to maintain the offset value.

T

You need to constrain the hole to the edge at a distance before the pattern. In this case it is not so easy since it is an ellipse. You can either define the location parametrically from the center or overall sizebox (Sizebox\Width-.075in for example) or you can add a suppressed shape that is Cam/Follower to the edge and then constrain the hole to that shape. Once you have that the pattern will follow.

Cary