Compose to IronCad

tcooksey

The new functionality to convert a Compose model back to IC solid is extremely cool.

The problem I am having is with older models.

As a test, I open those in IC2014

Save As a new file

I open the newly saved model in Compose 2014

Save it as an .ic3d file

Open this back up in IC2014 and try to convert it, but it does nothing.

Is there something different I need to do or is this something that is being fixed?

Thanks,

Troy

This functionality only works with pats in a Catalog that are already solid.

So the sequence goes like this:

1. Save solid parts from IronCAD into a Catalog.

2. Open that Catalog in Compose and make an assembly.

3. Open that assembly in IronCAD and the Catalog then you should be able to convert them back to solids.

This functionality only works with pats in a Catalog that are already solid.

So the sequence goes like this:

1. Save solid parts from IronCAD into a Catalog.

2. Open that Catalog in  Compose and make an assembly.

3. Open that assembly in IronCAD and the Catalog then you should be able to convert them back to solids.

37326[/snapback]

Kevin,

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Troy

Kevin,

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Troy

37327[/snapback]

Okay, that worked.

Just out of curiosity, why does it need to pass through a catalog?

I am trying to work out a work flow to streamline design changes down stream from some of our manufacturing vendors.

As I have mentioned previously we do some Lego like toy construction sets.

We currently have a part database consisting of hundreds of parts.

Ultimately I am going to put the parts in several IC catalogs so that we can drag and drop our build designs, but that is in progress and we have just been doing it by copying files into the assembly we are building ( not externally linked to the database as we are still making changes to the database ).

What I would ultimately like to do is send the vendor ( or actually my clients Hong Kong office ) my native ics file, let them open it in Compose and make various part substitutions by dragging and dropping parts from the Iron Cad catalogs I create from our database.

Send the Compose file back to me and then I can use that going forward if I can convert it back to IC solids.

Currently I have to work from photographs of the changes and go in and update my original IC file.

So far so good in terms of how you guys set up the system for converting the compose meshes to solids ( which is functionality I need as we go forward with additional downstream uses ).

My problem would be that we have already built a lot of sets that just have minor changes to turn them in to a new or refreshed product, so I don't want to have and rebuild a 500 piece set just to be able to convert the Compose model back to IC.

Do you have any suggestion of how to work around this?

Do I just drop that whole assembly into a catalog and pull it back out and start with that for a new item?

Thanks,

Troy

Any Catalogs you have should work for this process.

37329[/snapback]

So the Compose facet model just contains information that relates it to a catalog and element there in, and just does a swap when you convert it?

If that is correct, does the catalog need to be opened when you convert it, or does it just go out and find it in your default catalog folder?

Troy