Best File Format to Export for Wildfire 5

tcooksey

Seems like I run into this problem every few years.

What is the best file format to export out of IC for import in to Wildfire 5?

And are there any special considerations or ways to arrange the files.

For example sould all parts be in one assembly, no sub assemblies.

Thanks,

Troy

Hi Troy,

I think PRO/E can import Parasolid files.  If that fails I would try STEP.

35794[/snapback]

Kevin,

Thanks.

I am familiar with file formats they can import and did send the vendor both Step ( AP214 ) and Parasolid ( x_t v19 ).

Attached are some images of the results of their import.

Troy

COBRA_1_.JPG

AERIAL_1_.JPG

high_1_.jpg

Kevin,

Thanks.

I am familiar with file formats they can import and did send the vendor both Step ( AP214 ) and Parasolid ( x_t v19 ).

Attached are some images of the results of their import.

Troy

35800[/snapback]

Additional.

I sent the files to a friend of mine who uses Wildfire 4.

He was not able to import the parasolid files at all, however the step files came in releatively clean, and the few problems were generally easy to fix.

So I have no idea what this vendor is doing.

I did find one problem that you guys should be aware of.

I imported one of the step files into Rhino, to check it out, and some of the parts were missing.

This exact same thing showed up in Wildfire.

It appears that the step translation is having problems with linked parts that are in different /linked/or possibly on different sub assembly levels within an assembly.

Not sure exactly which.

I will e mail you the step file separately if you wish to check out the problem.

I am curious about why the Translate add on no longer supports export of any Pro E formats. I know you guys have said in the past that there are some high licensing fees involved, but it seems like some of us might be willing to pay this if we could get some good prt and asm files for down stream ( like in Solid Works ).

I have always found not being able to communicate more directly with down stream Pro E has limited the clients I have been able to get.

Granted I can model rings around some of those guys, but a limitation never the less.

Thanks,

Troy

Kevin,

I have sent you an .ics file and Step AP214 export of the same via YouSendIt.

I opened the step file in Rhino 5 and if you compare this to the .ics, you will find several parts missing ( the spotlight looking parts and some of the rails ).

The missing parts are ones that are linked to each other, that are in different assemblies.

My friend saw a similar problem when files were imported into Wildfire 4.

The work around was to diassemble into one or a couple of major assemblies ( I guess where linked parts all were in the same assembly ).

Again, I am not sure the exact configuration that is causing that.

Troy

Hi Troy,

I have filed a bug report for this (incident #102647) and I see the parts missing in Rhino but what is odd is if  I import the .stp file back into IronCAD all the parts are present.

35842[/snapback]

Kevin,

Yes I saw the same thing, that IC did not have an issue when you imported it back in.

What did you guys determine to be what was causing the problem?

I guess what I mean is, what should you do as a work around until a fix is found?

It looked to me like it was linked parts across non linked assemblies or something like that.

Troy