Mechinism mode has changed

bmckelvie

Hi,

I think something has changed with the way mechanism mode works, or in my case does not work.

Up until recently the following method worked.

I would make a sub assembly of parts, position them all how I want, and lock them in place using "fixed in parent". I would then import that sub assembly into my main drawing, position it with constraints and use mechanism mode to check that the machine being analyzed will still work with the new part. Usually this is simply rocking back and forth about a pin.

This does not work any more, If I fix in parent in a sub assembly file, the sub assembly will not work with mechanism mode in the main drawing anymore.

I know this worked in February as It is how I set and tested all my models.

I preferred this method of work as it aloud me much quicker assembly and reduced the amount of constraints I required dramatically. I have noticed that if I use a lot of constraints, IronCad on my computer will slow down becoming nearly unusable.

To sum up, sub assembly all fixed in parent (separate file). --> Import sub assembly into main file and constrain. --> Aforementioned sub assembly now acts as one solid piece essentially wielded together. --> Mechanism mode moves the entire unit as constraints allow.

Is there a new way to do this or should this still work and its just me?

Thanks

Kevin just explained to me how to do what I wanted. The change was (how I understand it at least) when I want to use mechanism mode with an assembly I have to change the selection filter to assembly/part not just part. Then it works with the entire assembly.