Detailed drawings

bmckelvie

Hello,

I am attempting to create detailed drawings of my mechanism for my shop to build. The standard method of making drawings at my shop is; first an overview of the entire mechanism with bom balloons pointing to each part with a bom table giving more info on the parts. Then on the following sheets I detail out all the individual parts and include a bom with the correct part number on it. This mostly works for me in IronCad.

My problem is, if in my mechanism the individual part is not oriented cleanly to the axis, it will not be oriented correctly in my drawing. I can manipulate it slightly with the standard view creation button, but often I can not get them to be correct.

Any advice or tips on how to do this?

Also when I use the hole depth symbol in drawings after I can type after it but my computer only shows white spaces, then on the drawing the correct info shows up.?

I attached my current drawing to illustrate what I am talking about. (don't look to close at the standards yet it is no where near done smile.gif ) If you are interested in it, it is a imperial conversion and re-size of a metric pan brake. the parts that have the issue I am talking about are, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10

panbreak.icd

problem is, if in my mechanism the individual part is not oriented cleanly to the axis, it will not be oriented correctly in my drawing.  I can manipulate it slightly with the standard view creation button, but often I can not get them to be correct.     

Any advice or tips on how to do this?

The views "look" right in to the scene, acording to scene XYZ. So if you want the slightly turned part to be orto in your ICD view, then you can do one of two things.

1 orient the camera in the scene with F7 (look at). Then refer to "From scene" when you create the view in ICD.

2. Turn the part using triball and "Orient Triball to global" RMB option.

This is often best used in combo with externally linked files.

Turn the part in the external file. It will still be oriented correct in the assembly.

I would like to add another option for the view orientation.

What I do to ensure no orientation issues in the suture is to create a configuration for each part that is not orientated to the global XYZ and orient it to XYZ in the configuration, then use the configuration to create the drawing from.

this ensures my drawings are "snyced" with a configuration that will not be affected by any changes in the "primary" design config.

Make sense?

As for your depth icon, this is a bug, if you type everything and put the icons in last that is the best workaround.

Cheers

Tom