Automatic relations

bmckelvie

Happy Easter everyone!

Is their a way to make a feature stay in the middle of part even if i change the length? IE if I place a hole in the centre of a 500 mm long bar, then change the length of the bar to say 600 mm I want the hole to automatically relocate to the new centre. In Pro/E I would setup a relation like "distance=length/2" But I do not see any place to do that in IronCad.

I can make features auto locate to the ends a part using locked smart dimensions, but I do not know of a way to set up relations.

Thanks

Brent

Hi Brent,

There are several ways to do this. You can edit the cross-section of the plate and add a circle and drive the circles location using the dimension constraints and adding parameters like you describe ( actually easier than it sounds)

or

If you switch to Structured Part Mode and drag a hole to the center of the face (green dot "lights up) then it will automatically stay centered regardless of how you resize the plate.

Thanks for the info,

First I am trying to do the first method with editing the cross section but I do not know where to find the "parameter name?" to use for my relation.

second

I'm adding a layer of complexity to this now, smile.gif can I do this any way with a custom hole, not using structured part? so that it stays a distance from the end that changes in relation to the total length?