Linked Patterns

David Thomas

Why can't we create linked patterns anymore? In many a version ago I was able to use the tribal on an intellishape to create a pattern and then right click the tribal for the pattern - to point- and then link here. I could then make sure my master intellishape was linked across both patterns and bobs your uncle, linked pattern with linked intellishapes.

Interestingly opening old models with linked patterns opens fine in 2012 even with a little link icon for the pattern in the tree, see image below.

Incidentally I just used the pattern feature in the tools catalogue, and blow me down with a feather, we have a completely different tool for creating patterns, but it does not allow for much editing of the intellishape afterwards.... But what it does have is a preview button ! and a little diagram showing you the offsets etc and stagger, if only that could be integrated into the triball pattern tool, I would be a happy cadder.

Nick

Linked__Patterns.png

Edited by David Thomas

The pattern feature does support a pattern of a pattern. Yes it is a bit different from the TriBall version since it uses references such as faces and edges where as the TriBall version did not (which is why it would not be an easy switch in that regard). If we allowed the pattern feature to support zero references, then maybe we could incorporate the TriBall into the pattern feature. I'll take a closer look into this.

As for the comment of editing, you should be able to edit the original feature that was used in the pattern feature. Which is a bit different from the TriBall pattern. The TriBall pattern was a link concept so you could edit the original or any of the links. The pattern feature is a parent child type command where you can edit the parent feature but the childs are just a copy of the original and offer no editing on these features.

Cary

I can't quite get the results I'm looking for with the Pattern feature. See the image, I.e. I have two linked holes near the middle of the bar, 10mm apart and then two patterns outwards in opposite directions (26mm spacing). With the triball pattern I can quickly achieve this and having the pattern linked would provide maximum parametric-ness (!)

TriballPattern.png

Using the pattern feature, I suppose I could recreate this with a sketch pattern I suspect, but using the triball is much easier. I suppose I could set up patterns for the nodes using 2d sketch patterns, but they are a one shot wonder.

The catalogue pattern, like you say, creates linked parts, handy nonetheless, although you can pattern an intellishape it does not allow for editing of the shape afterwards, but I'm sure you know this !

Please can I create linked triball patterns again ! smile.gif , 2012 obviously still supports this, is it just a menu issue ?

Rightlink.png

Everyone together now - Triball - Right Click - Link Here, Triball - Right Click - Link Here,Triball - Right Click - Link Here,Triball - Right Click - Link Here blink.gif

Nick

Edited by David Thomas

well with linked intellishape holes and linked patterns, both of those goals can be achieved together.

Another use I have at the moment is two rows of holes in a piece of angle section. With everything linked it all nicely updates, one less thing to worry about when your madly worrying about a million other design issues!

Could I do a pattern of a pattern in this instance? One row/pattern of holes is not only translated from the other it is also rotated by 90° , (i.e. its on the other flat of the angle). Can the pattern feature do this?, I.e. it deals with linear translation, OR a circular pattern which I sure I could do 1 instance with an angle of 90° ??? (I have to hold my hands up and say I have not investigated all possibilities with the pattern feature command.)

Nick

Well I can't recall that we ever supported the TriBall Link of the Pattern at the feature level. I know you could link the feature under the pattern (Enable Master Positioning option in Tools/Options/Interaction).

The Pattern Feature can do patterns of patterns. I'm not sure in your case since I guess it depends on the location. Send me a model of what you intend and I can better comment.

Linking the TriBall pattern has some issues and it was blocked. We should revisit it to see if anything else can be done.

Cary

"Linking the TriBall pattern has some issues and it was blocked. We should revisit it to see if anything else can be done." Do you mean linking the triball pattern at part level ?

On the subject of the linking the triball at feature level, I have just sparked up Inovate v8 and made a linked hole with a linked pattern on a piece of angle (file attached). I have opened it in 2012 and it opens fine and the links work fine. So to clarify, both intellishapes are linked across the pattern, and both patterns are linked. When you change the spacing or the number then the other changes.

Interestingly when I performed the pattern link, I did not rotate the pattern onto the other facet of the angle, i just rotated the hole, and then dragged the hole into empty linked pattern. I.e. the triball pattern link has no connectivity regarding the orientation of the hole within the pattern.

But now you can see the issues of creating a pattern of a pattern onto the other facet of the angle section, i.e. the pattern (of the pattern) need to translate and rotate as well

You say the triball link at part level was blocked? Well I performed the same procedure as above but at the part level,i.e. create a part pattern and then right click and link to point, and the linked patterns open fine in 2012. So yes I cannot create them in 2012 but I can open older files..... Could this cause issues with older files being opened that have this functionality ?

Phew, I'm glad I not involved in software development.....

Nick

AngleLinkPattern_v2012.png

AnglePatternLink_v2012.ics

Part_Triball_Link_v2012.ics

Edited by David Thomas

Looking at that example, why not just drop the hole, make a link on the other piece of the angle, then create a single pattern (pattern feature). The pattern feature will allow you to select multiple features to pattern in the single pattern shape unlike the TriBall pattern at the feature level. That way you don't need to deal with pattern of patterns.

Cary

umm aaah, yes, I suppose you could do it that way.....

but but but, I was about to say how do I then move that pattern so that I can make sure that a hole falls in the middle,i.e. half way along the extrusion because you cannot move a pattern feature with the triball.

But then I though well if I move the hole to the middle, and then try a bilenear pattern but use the same edge for both directions and make sure they are opposite directions I would get the same result. And tickle me lightly, it works ! to a point.

The pattern direction each behave themselves if the "Offsets" are the same but if you change one offset to a different value the pattern goes a bit mad. I think I'm going to go for it and say "thats a bug!"

Changing the "count" to be different from one another works fine.

Update , see the following example,

Bilinear_Opposite.png

Update - clicking the pattern seed seems to fix the problem

Nick

Edited by David Thomas