Cylindrical Cam profile

Adrian Rideout

Hi All

Here is a problem for you. Attached is a drawing from one of our customers.

As you will see it is a Cylindrical cam. With the developed cam profile drawn in 2D to be wrapped around the mean diameter. I am having great difficulty modeling this.

I have is no problem creating a 3D curve by wrapping the 2D profile around a cylinder. But when I sweep a block along the curve it will not flatten out at the upper most points (95mm).

This model needs to be accurate as is used for inspection CMM

Can anyone help.

I have also attached my .ics file of work so far.

sad.gif

Cylinder_cam.ics

Cylinder_Cam.pdf

No problem (I spend whole 3 min. on it wink.gif ), I am glad that I can help. I hope that this is a solution for which you are seeking.

Sometimes you have to do some workarounds. In this case, everybody will start with Sweep but this will make more problems then solutions. Probably should be start with two guided curve, etc.

Because Wraped 3D curve is symmetric it was easier to cut out the hole with Extrude in Mean Cylinder to get surface bordered with Wraped Curve and then just make Thicken symmetric shape. Top of that shape you could Extract to Surface and use it in Trim function as well and that should be the main goal.

I have used Offset face and Boolean Intersect on original part just to quickly complete your model. This was not particularly necessary.

Edited by dprodanic