Perpendicular to Face

David Thomas

Clicking the perpendicular to face handle on the tribal orientates the triball handle to be perpendicular to the point clicked on the surface by the user, not perpendicular to where the tribal is located on the surface.

So ok thats resonable behavoir, but I would like to orientate my hole to be perpendicualar to a surface at a particular point, or more to the point, where the hole is located.

How to do that?

On a cylinder surface easy enough, with the too centre point command, but on a doubly curved surface....

I could cut out a bit of the surface (H Block) project the resultant edge onto a 2d sketch and draw a line at 90° to the resultant spline , but I cannot do that, as IC moans when trying to constrain a line 90° to a spline.

Am I having a senior moment?

I suppose if I use a H Block to cut away the surf at the point I want and then offset the surface this gives me two points, and a line connecting them will be 90° to the surface tangent.....

Nick

I'm a little lost on this one. Is there a point on the surface where you need to be perpendicular or is an arbitrary point? The Sketch Placement option have many settings for placing the sketch. If you use point and pick on the surface, it is perpendicular at that point but the point is arbitrary really. If you have a point, then you can use the other options to define it specifically. I hope that helps.

Cary

Thanks for the replies. I had not really considered the sketch placement option fully, as I was trying to place a hole. I'll have a play.

Thanks for the video, dprodanic, essentially it boils down to the tribal picking up the orientation of the 3d curve which is interesting, I was not really aware you could do it like that, thanks. But I tried to do that with a doubly curved surface and the 3d curve rather than be a strainght 3d "curve" was a curved spline and the tribal could not pick up its axis.

Now I have had a play and my problems really are to do with the fact that I was working with a solid, but if I use a surface to find a workaround then it works quite nicely.

So looking at the image below, I have a round hole that I want to position and I have cut a square hole to provide a point to place my hole and also be perpendicular at that point. Clicking perp to face at that point on the surface it works quite nicely.

But the problem arises when you try to do the same with a solid, when clicking that point the triball does not know which of the three surfaces (2 of which are the internal flat surfaces formed by the hole block) you are clicking and hence the triball orientation seems always to go to the wrong surface.

Normal_to_surf2_red.png

Edited by David Thomas

I'm just guessing but i think he does not want to bother with cross-sections, but want full flexibility in 3D.

I have another workaround for this smile.gif

Just give me few minutes to make a video.

Edited by dprodanic

Mr Dprodanic, you should be given a medal. That is some hot Ironcad skills.

I have to admit that I do not really use the drag on surface command much, I tend to just use the tribal.

So the crux of the issue is 2:52 into the video, when you orientate the 3d wire anchor, which then sets its perp to the surface, the rest pretty straightforward.

Problem solved, and the triball rendered obsolete, I might as well uninstall the triball now...

Thankyou

Nick

Edited by David Thomas

Mr Dprodanic, you should be given a medal. That is some hot Ironcad skills.

I have to admit that I do not really use the drag on surface command much, I tend to just use the tribal.

So the crux of the issue is 2:52 into the video, when you orientate the 3d wire anchor, which then sets its perp to the surface, the rest pretty straightforward.

Problem solved, and the triball rendered obsolete, I might as well uninstall the triball  now...

Thankyou

Nick

32550[/snapback]

tnx dry.gif I'm glad that I helped.

Edited by dprodanic

32550[/snapback]

Yes, but I go one step forward looking for solution on positioning a hole at specific intersection point (+perpendicular). As I understand that was one of the problems.

That is why I extracted surface because for some reason single surface and surface on solid behave differently.

"the rest is pretty straightforward"

32553[/snapback]

Sorry , perhaps the wrong choice of words, (dumb thumbs !) I did'nt mean to make light of your efforts, I just meant I was happy with the methodology.

Yes I noted in post four, the differences between the surface and solid are also perhaps part of the issue, and as Cborer suggested maybe an ER for the triball?

smile.gif

Edited by David Thomas

Well I can tell you why the TriBall and Drag and Drop do not work on the solid. When you hit the point, it uses the camera view direction to orient perpendicular to the nearest planar face in the viewing direction. Same behavior as the drag and drop from catalog. Basically we have logic to determine the drop orientation when you are on a point to determine how best to orient. That's why it does not work on that curved surface (TriBall has the same code when you pick a point for perpendicular).

I'm not sure what the implications would be if we allowed it to use the surface at that point (meaning what it would affect in other cases besides this one). The code is very old logic and I think it applies to finding centerpoints of holes as well (the highlight - For example if you look at a hole and you can see the scene background at the centerpoint location, you don't get a centerpoint highlight when you try to drag to that space, you have to have the curved surface behind the centerpoint and then we highlight and drop perpendicular to that point and the axis in that case). Anyways, I think we would have to do some long testing to verify it doesn't cause any weird affects in other places.

Cary

A good example of what I mean above would be a cylinder with a cutout on top. Then try to drop to the point on the planar top of the cylinder and the curved surface of the cylinder. It will always locate the planar face to give a predictable result instead of using the cylindrical face as the orientation.

Cary