Problem Copying Features

Doug Gower

Problem...

I have two parts that are identical in size but each have some different features (holes, pockets, etc). Part 2 has some holes and threads that I want to add to part 1.

So I open part 2 and inserted part 1 into the scene (temporarily). This way I can align the parts together so that when I add the new features (to part 1) I can easily move and copy these into the same locations as part 2 using the tribal.

OK finished with that, I save the scene and delete Part 1... but wait, I get a dialog box...

"One or more parts selected for deletion have a SmartDimension relation. Deleting these parts will remove these dimensions and any parameters associated with the dimensions. Do you want to continue with the deletion?"

Well I thought so... but if I continue I lose everything that was just added.

Is there any way to remove these "smart dimension relations" before I delete the part ...so I can save the new features I added this way? or how else could I do this?

I swear these parts did not have any smart dimensional relations. biggrin.gif

BTW - There's nothing about Smart Dimension Relations in the help file that I can find.

If you delete Part1 and it's SmartDimensions, that should have no effect on PArt2.

30358[/snapback]

That's right, but I'm not changing part 2. I'm trying to change part 1 and if I delete part 1 I lose all of the new features added on part 1.

Edited by Doug Gower

If you change part1, then delete part1, how can you save part1

Either way, if you edit a part then delete another part, the deleting of that second part shouldn't affect the first.

If you are getting different behavior then that please capture a video and send us the Scene files.

When you copied the features from Part 2, are there any smartdimension on these features? If so, when you copy them to Part 1, they will still exist but may refer to Part2 (geometry) depending on the smartdimension. So if you delete the part, it will tell you the message. But it should only be deleting relations that refer to the part you are deleting (not any original geometry). I'm not sure I'm clear on the issue you are having.

Cary

When you copied the features from Part 2, are there any smartdimension on these features? If so, when you copy them to Part 1, they will still exist but may refer to Part2 (geometry) depending on the smartdimension. So if you delete the part, it will tell you the message. But it should only be deleting relations that refer to the part you are deleting (not any original geometry). I'm not sure I'm clear on the issue you are having.

Cary

30361[/snapback]

Yeah, I will come back to this when I get time and try to record it.

Edited by Doug Gower

If you change part1, then delete part1, how can you save part1

Either way, if you edit a part then delete another part, the deleting of that second part shouldn't affect the first.

If you are getting different behavior then that please capture a video and send us the Scene files.

30360[/snapback]

Part1 is linked (inserted as a link)

Guest EricFoy

Doug:

It sounds like you are inserting Part1 (as a link) into the Part2 file in order to make permanent changes to Part1 in its original file. You are doing this by saving the Part2 file (which saves the Part1 file via the link), then deleting the linked instance from the Part2 file. Have I got this right?

My response: What you are doing, though possibly workable, is sort of a convoluted approach. Here's my suggestion:

1: Open both files Part1 and Part2.

2: In the Part2 file, select part2 at the part level, then hit ctrl-C.

3: Ctrl-tab to enter the Part1 file.

4: Deselect all and hit ctrl-V. This will insert part2 with no links.

5: Align your parts and do all your editing to Part1.

6: When you're done with part2, simply delete it.

With this approach, you can save along the way without worrying about leaving files in any temporarily invalid state, etc.

-Eric

Doug:

It sounds like you are inserting Part1 (as a link) into the Part2 file in order to make permanent changes to Part1 in its original file.  You are doing this by saving the Part2 file (which saves the Part1 file via the link), then deleting the linked instance from the Part2 file.  Have I got this right?

30367[/snapback]

Eric,

That's right... I tried to recreate the problem with new simple parts and can't repeat it. I like the sounds of your method though.

Kevin,

I'll try to record it later with the original parts and see if I can reproduce it.

Thanks