Rev Control and file management

We are trying to learn how IronCAD users combat file management specifically in having IronCAD automatically generate revisions (automated revision control) for files as well how to manage external linked files that have been moved or renamed should the user not know this information.

any feedback is appreciated.

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom

jd here

We do a lot of work for a company that I feel Has this under control. The work we do is in pro_e, and it may contain hundreds of parts( standard fixture components) Let me define the word standard.When one does work for this company one purchases a copy of their company's integration package.which contains a their standard lib ect. once a week we get an updated lib which we then install. If your famillar with pro-e then

you know that if you have the latest lib then you can call up the fixture.

And all of it's fixture components will be there.But if we alter a std. lib component or design some thing new it also must be included eather in the working dir. or in the lib. We like the way ptc puts on the .#at the end of it's

pt# as it contains a list of it's assets. No mater who does a rework on it.they

get a complete file with all of the custom components,if they have the latest lib then they have every thing to do the work.the lib puts every one on the same page. The lib contains every thing that they purchase, or make or alter from a purchased item.It then recieves a catalog # and is put into a sort group.(dir.) like (bushings,keys,nuts,bolts,etc) 10's of thousands of items.

The point I'm tring to make is it really does not matter what the weldments or what ever it is you have in the way as a standard lib, the only things that are custom in my world are the thing's we put standard components into. It would be nice if I.C. would give us a way to do the same thing with our assem's. In

the way of an auto save as .#for a give'n saved state. The way I do it now is save as xxxxxxx.ics in a dir. of it's own, then if there is another version I use the.# at the end. Then if there is a rework to this fixture I then start with a new dir. with an _a or _ b or _c etc. after it. I then copy all the related files to it and work it from there. Why we do it this way is that at any time we can revert the fixtureback to any change level we want, without much ta do about it.The company that I'm speaking of is doing this with their parts asem's. also. They keep sep. dir's. for parts also. They too are kept as a part of their lib.

hope this helps you in some small way

your friend

jd

Hi JD,

thanks for the input. your process of renumbering is similar to ours. That works fine for us. For larger companies that have 5+ seats of IronCAD they can implement IC's TeamVault and get all the necessary revision control they want with the typical "PDM" type functions.

The problem right now (hopefully temporary) is for the 1-4 seat companies that require a simple rev control tool without having it has a manual procress.

I wonder if theres a way to "strip" out this this one feature from TV and added directly to IronCAD. May be one for the IronDudes to think about.

This issue seems to be popping up more frequently now in sales calls even for the one-man user.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

http://www.magnacad.com