Help BENDING STRAP BAND

Jeff Myler

If I physically bend a piece of flat bandmetal , for example 1" wide x a stock thickness x 4" length: I can bend accross the 1" width at some angle. I can smash the metal or unfold it back to its normal 1"w x 4"long strap band state.

I can't seem to model this and unfold it without it looking angle cut/die cut looking in its unfold state. I could sure use help on this, as I'm is the middle of what should be an easy project! Thanks Iron dudes. JM

sheetmetal-strip.ics

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to create. Are you trying to create a sheet metal cone shape? Can you attach an image to illustrate what you are trying to create? If you are creating a cone, IronCAD 7.0 will have a new cone sheet metal part (which you can try out in the beta phase in mid-late April).

Cary

Guest mwalls

Cary and Chris,

I have run up against this too. I think what Jeff is trying to do is take a strip of flat stock and then, as an example, fold the piece at a 45 degree angle in the middle so the end now points 90 degrees from where it was. I ran across this when I had a piece of 1/8" copper that I needed to fold to get it to come in from the bottom and then change direction by 90 degrees. I cheated by chopping the end at a 45 degree angle and then adding a bend to get it to show what I wanted, even though when you unfold it, it was not a straight piece any more. It would be nice to be able to define a bend line across the middle of a piece and have it bend around that line.

Mike

is it like this?

the custom-profile should solve this but it cant be rotated and go around bends and is still very limited buggie.

Chris knows i want this to change badly

Wim

I would suggest that the prizes for the beta-testing will be that the winners may choose an enhencement that is on the top of there list!

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=853

Mike explained the model well and WIM showed an example, thanks.

I got to the same results by editing two cross sections and adjusting corner reliefs through trial and error. I thought it would be more intuitive as it is such a simple part in the real world. I don't understand the negative depth value I'm punching in at the corner relief, closed, orientation left or right values. I'm sure there is an explaination. I like the model challenge though. It's like a puzzle. My jpeg shows my development left to right. Far right unfolds to a simple strap band.

strapband unfold.jpg

strapband.jpg