2d Cross section relationship

David Thomas

Hello,

We have just recently purchased ironcad and are getting to grips with it, slowly! But there is still one point baffling us.

How do you relate 2 separate cross sections to one another?

i.e. if I create a new 2d cross section of a circle in space somewhere and then finish the shape. I then create a new 2d cross section of a square, how do I then position the square with regards to the circle, I cannot seem to connect the two entities such that they are X mm apart. While you are editing the square you cannot snap to the circle with construction geometry to position it.

Nick

Hi David, welcome aboard to IronCAD.

AS for your question, there are actually several ways to do this, but without truly understanding the question its hard to direct you. Can you post an image or file here for me to look at?

Some hints to relating, positiong:

in 3D:

1. Use SmartDimensions for positioning and constraining (Locked)

2. Use the Mate/Align Tool for quick position

3. Use the Mate/Align Constraint tool to position and constraint

4. Use SmartSnap (hold shift key while dragging handles)

in 2D Profiles

1. Use Dimension constraints etc...

2. Drag Geometry to other geometry

So seeing you pic would detemine the best option for you.

Tom

Don't forget the answer to 90% of all IronCAD questions: TRIBALL!

The triball is the best tool you have at your disposal. If you can't do it with the triball, it might not be able to be done.

There is a tutorial on learning the Triball in the help section of IronCAD. I strongly suggest that you learn and master it ... your life will become much easier and more meaningfull... well, at least IronCAD will be easier.

Welcome to the club.

MikeT

The tool "Project 3D edges" is also important.

With that tool you can click on any edge to project that edge on

the crossection grid.

If you click on a surface you will project the lines around the surface on the grid.

If you use the right mouse button when you click on the edge, you will establish a permanent relationship.

You can turn those line in to construction geometry if you want, by rightclicking on them and select "Use outline for construction only".

Robert Andersson

Solidmakarna

I believe that you are talking about moving sketches around before extruding them or creating a profile that is made of various shapes.

First, use the move tool and select (snap-to) a reference point on the square or circle. Drag the shape onto a reference point on the other shape. Next, select the move tool again and this time right-click and drag the geometry you wish to move to a precise location. Move it any distance and an X-Y direction input window will appear. Enter the desired dimensions and you're done.

Remember though, that most of the time, it is easier to drag a shape from one of the many catalogs, and then build upon or subtract from it. As far as positioning holes and shapes that are part of other shapes (in 3D), you can use the TriBall or select the smart dimension tool to lock-in the measurement.

Good luck and welcome to the family of IC users.

Dave

Hello,

Thankyou for your replys.

Yes dsulli, I am talking about moving 2d sections, I don't think that I made myself too clear though.

I've included a jpeg, here's the creative process

1. Create a new 2d section and draw a circle and finish it

2. Create another new 2d sketch but clicking on the original circle such that they lie on the same plane. Draw a rectangle. Finish the sketch.

So what we have now are two separate entities on the same plane but are separate sketches.

What I want to do, is relate the two of them, i.e. position the circle in some specified point away or connected to the rectangle.

Ans.

1. The project 3d edges tool will not pick up another sketch, i.e. while I'am editing the circle you cannot pick the rectangle.

2. The move tool again does not pick up any point on the rectangle while you are editing the circle.

3. The same again with the dimension constraints.

4. I have had some success with the triball, in that rather than editing the circle you pick it and turn on the triball, this does enable you to pick the corners of the rectangle.

5. Picking the circle and then clicking the central drag handle so it turns yellow, and then dragging it to the rectangle does give you some options but they are still limited, the handle snaps to the corners, but you can't snap to the middle point of one of the edges of the rectangle for example.

I guess this does kinda solve the problem, I am used to TurboCad (is that considered swearing on this website?) where you only really have one sketch on a plane and you have full interactivity between objects.

i.e if I edit the circle and draw a tangent line from it I could just snap onto any point on the rectangle, but you can't do this in Ironcad.

Nick

2d Sections.jpg

2d Sections.jpg

Nick -

Unlike TC, IC was born a true solid modelling program. So you will find full interactivity only for solids but not for 2D objects. While there's no reason why 2D objects shouldn't share that same "rights", apparently the functionality has just not been implemented (yet) because most people don't need it due to the way they work with IC.

Cheers,

Beat

Guest dlalonde

Hi David, here are a few key tips that have helped my coworkers...

1. Think in terms of adding and subtracting material instead of sketching.

2. Scene Browser Awareness - turn on the scene browser, name every part as you create it, expand each part when editing it, and be aware of the result of every action.

3. Use the middle mouse button (roller button) and the Shift + Ctrl keys to operate the camera. Use shift-ctrl-middleclick to retarget the rotation point of the camera as required.

4. TRIBALL ! - use it for everything that you can. It is the greatest invention in the history of CAD. I suggest assigning the tilde (~) key to toggle the triball on/off, it's in a convenient place on the keyboard and is otherwise unused.

5. Smartdimensions - can be disposable - create them to ease positioning or to verifiy a distance, and then throw them away if you won't need them again.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi David

When starting with IronCAD it was strange to me always finding me stright in 3d. But after some time you`ll be used to do so.

You will be happy cause it is so powerful!

Easiest way is to take a block or a zylinder from the Catalogs and modify them in the shape modus (maybe first rightclick, properties and activate handles/ or right click cross section; change lines)

Right click, Smart dimensions and Triball will do the rest.

Good luck

Carlo