ARRGHH! I Hate when this happens

Guest EricFoy

Guest EricFoy

I am posting this in the long shot that maybe someone can help me tonight. My trial ran out... yeah, I know, I'm a knucklehead not to get around to activating 'till now... but here I am in the evening with a bunch o' work, and at IC, nobody's home. It's cool; we all gotta sleep sometime. But it can get rough on guys like me who sleep better in the a.m. and work better in the p.m.

So... anybody know how to FORCE the activation wizard to do its job?

IC v11, 64-bit Vista. I tried running the wizard "as administrator": no help. First it says there is an error installing file, then says it was successful (a bald-faced lie wink.gif ).

...so I'll just do some webmastering, I guess, 'till I get the answer.

Guest EricFoy

Cary:

Unbelievable. I just rolled in and looked at the forum, and noticed your response came just 27 minutes after I posted my problem. I think I checked it at about the 25 minute mark, then got distracted and just never got back to my IC work.

Anyway, thanks for the valiant effort.

Guest EricFoy

Okay...

Having received the license file from tech support, when I click on it, I get this...error.jpg

I've tried

1. Uninstalling IC
  2. Cleaning the registry
  3. Reboot
  4. Install IC
  5. Reboot

Still get the same response as above.

Any tips?

BTW: I like how the little pop-up flatly states there was an error, offering me the polite response of "Okay," as though I should just be okay with that. Seems it should also include a button saying, "Not Okay," even though it also simply closes the window. That way I could at least object rather than just feigning acquiescence... cool.gif

Edited by EricFoy

Open the file you got from support in notepad. Copy the line or lines. Go to the Bin folder where IRONCAD is installed and find the lservrc file. Open it in notepad. Paste the contents on the last line. Save the file and try running IRONCAD.

Cary

Guest EricFoy

Thanks, Cary.

That worked. I guess it's a typical permissions-related Vista problem.

I had to run Notepad "as administrator" in order to get it to save the file. Hey, I AM the administrator! I just hate it when they say something they don't really mean.

I still can't figure out how to make these Vista permissions work. Why don't the Microsoftettes just implement a Root user like Unix? You just never seem to be able to get root privileges in Windows... (Yeah, you guessed it: I'm one of those lazy hacks who always logs in as root so I don't have to "sudo" everything I want to do).

Anyway... I'm now up and running. Case closed.

Thanks.

There are a couple of things you can do to lessen the Pain of the new Vista Access Control scheme... some of them are "not recommended" as they effectively defeat the intent of this new and "improved" system.

1) Use the "Run As Administrator" check box to always run a program (i.e. IronCAD or the License Wizard) with max rights: Link.

2) Disable the UAC (i.e. "Stop asking me if I really want to do the thing I just told you to do!"): Link.

3) (For you CMD folks like myself) Run a command (from the Start Menu) as an Admin:Link.

And finally, a little history and background on the UAC, as well as some additional or alternate methods of minimizing the pain...Link.

Edit:

Just to put the Vista access policy into a sentence: "Run everything with the least privileges you have". You can theoretically (I haven't tried it) make everything run as an admin if you ensure that your username is only a member of the Administrators group, and not of anything lesser (like "Users"). My guess though, is that would probably introduce some other issues....

Edited by Mike Twining

Guest EricFoy
1) Use the "Run As Administrator" check box to always run a program (i.e. IronCAD or the License Wizard) with max rights:
Yeah. Tried that a bunch. Didn't work. I pretty much launch everything "as administrator" anymore, since I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR... HELLOOOOO!

Thanks, Mike, for the insights. Seriously, just that little tidbit helps me to know what's really going on, and what might possibly be a workaround or solution.