question

bbuche

My work is trying to get the most out of our bom info but it is not complete enough. My question is..... we have a part that includes connectors, the part and connectors have 2 seperate part numbers. We draw the main part and do not draw the connectors because they are always hidden. Is there a way to attach info to a part (the main part) to include a line for the connectors? I hope this makes sense if not I will try and explain better.

Thanks for the help

Brian

I understand brian, you want to add BOM info for non-drawn parts. To my knowledge this cannot be done in IronCAD. However a workaround is create simple block or line for non-drawn parts assign bom info to them and simply suppress them.

Otherwise you would need a data management solution such as DDM.

Hope this helps

Tom

I'm not sure I understand.

Is the connector information on the same row as the part or should it be listed as a new row (new part)?

If it is part of the part, just add a custom property for the information.

If it is a new part in the bom, one method is to simply attach a empty 2D shape to your part. You can drag the 2D shape and part into a catalog together and drop them out. The 2D Shape can carry BOM information. The only issue is that this 2D Shape will appear in the scene browser (it will not appear in the drawing or scene since it is empty).

Another option is to develop a add-on hook that gets added to a part that can populate the BOM. This is not a standard item for IRONCAD but I think it could be done in the API. We could discuss a project to scope this type of effort if needed.

Thanks

Cary

It does not need to be an assembly. You can select a 2D Shape and a part in the scene and drag into a catalog. When you drop it out, it will be two parts and not an assembly.

It still may be worth the time to look at the customization project to achieve what you need to avoid the extra shapes in the browser.

Cary

I'm not sure what the cost would be. I guess it all depends on the exact requirements. Could be a small effort or large. The first thing would be to write a clear specification on the desired requirements (how it will all work in the ideal manner). Then we can review and ask questions/comment and propose a estimate.

Cary