Multiple Decals on a single part?

Mike Twining

Whether or not I apply the decal at the part or face level, it will only allow 1 per part. Additionally, if I try to place one on another surface, it will recognise the original decal. So... no luck there. If you place the first decal at the face level, and place the second decal at the part level (I am trying to get them on the same face), the part-level decal is not displayed on the part.

I am using 6.0 PU1 (I really like that "PU" thing.... gotta love marketing).

Any other thoughts, or do I need to make up individual parts to stick the decals on, and then locate thoes individual parts on the model?

MikeT.

I guess what I am really looking for is multiple decals on the same FACE.

I suggested this long ago.

With cubes I was lucky on the face level.

One decal = one face works nice.

Is there a chance to get some more freedom in next issue? ( 2or 3 decals par face)

I never tried this but It may work for you.

Create a Surface Surface Shape directly off the desired surface (R/C surface). Change it to be 100% transparent. Then make as make copies of the surface directly in its same postiion and simply add one decal to each surface as needed.

Let me know if this works out well for you

Tom

Tom-

Good plan... haven't tried it yet cause I ran into another problem... well actually a bug. Here it goes:

If you take an assembly and mirror it (copy not link), when you attempt to place a decal on a face from the mirrored assembly, the default decal placement location is directly over the ORIGINAL assembly, not the mirrored (desired) location. "No problem..." I'm thinking, so I relocate the decal projection (slide) to where I want it located (on the mirrored section). Once I get it all sized and located, I realize that nothing is being projected! In order to display the decal correctly, you need to place the slide projection thingy (technical term) over the ORIGINAL location (even though you are trying to place it in on the mirrored), and you need to flip the picture.

The short version:

Placing decals on partions of mirrored assemblies is HOSED (also a technical term)!

Mike T.

PS. Chris, can you copy this post to the bug fix forum :)

Chris-

Man, you sure are "Johnny on the spot" with those replys. Must be a slow tech support day eh ;).

The post was re-copied to the bug report forum after much hard work and pain... sweat.... tears..... well, ok, so it was a ctrl-c, ctrl-v.

MikeT.

• 1 month later...

Back in the old days I used a program called TrueSpace and it allowed me to apply several decals on a face. For example two lables on a wine bottle. I too miss this ability. I get around it by building real individual shapes for each decal, but it takes longer. I would like to see improvement in this area too.

Guest dlalonde

Tom's suggestion to create a surface shape is a great way to create a direct silkscreened graphic, and also allows several graphics to be applied separately to a part (even to complex curved surfaces).

At Yorkville Sound some of our graphics are silkscreened directly onto the surfaces of parts, but most are decals (labels), made of die-cut mylar with pressure sensitive adhesive on the back.

I have for a long time been making decals as thin (0.003inch) parts, applying graphics to the decal, and postioning the decal parts onto the surface of the product. You can even add a surface texture to the decal for nice rendering.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Tom's surface shape suggestion is a good idea except the part about turning the texture transparent. This does not work as it turns the applied decal texture transparent also. The workaround is to apply a decal with an alpha channel. Then set the DECAL TRANSPARENCY to Cut-away. This removes the surface shape but leaves the decal. Works great!!!!

Bret