IDEAS to IronCAD

Doug Pidgen

We are having a problem with importing a solid model sent to us from one of our customers.

Has anyone else dealt with IDEAS and know how to bring their models into IronCAD?

Our customer has IDEAS Master Series and have exported the model using STEP and 3D IGES. The STEP file would not import into IronCAD. We could not get a solid from importing the IGES, the best we can do at this point is a surface model and then exporting a 3D curve IGES which we can use in our CAM. But we prefer to work with solids.

CAD/CAM Programming

aero-safe technologies inc.

We accept alot of data from IDEAS-Master Series. The best results we have have is that Export from IDEAS in iges using the Unigraphics Flavor. This hasn't given us any problems so far.

Good Luck

Tom

OH!!! makes sure IC is only running using the Parasolid Kernel

Thanks for the tip Tom!

By having "IC using only the Parasolid Kernel", do mean to turn off

the "Kernal Collaboration", as well as have the default set to Parasolid?

CAD/CAM Programming

aero-safe technologies inc.

It didn't work for us Tom.

The best I could do was to bring the model in as surfaces, but

it wouldn't convert to a solid. If I left the default settings for

importing iges, it would fail. If I selected solids only, IC said that

there was no information available.

I have a feeling it is how they are exporting the model, but I don't

know enough about IDEAS to suggest anything to them. Do you

have anything more you can tell me about it?

Perhaps they are exporting surfaces and not a solid???

Doug.

Guest IronKevin

Hi Doug,

I dredged up some very old info on this subject (from around 1999) so I'm not sure if it's still valid but it may help:

SDRC Recipe for exporting to IronCAD

A) Adjust modeling accuracy if needed

1. Adjust the point modeling tolerance prior to creating the

iges file. This will have to be done by trial and error.

Increase the tolerance as tight as you can without causing

the model to fail the update(regeneration) process. Usually

somewhere in the .0001 - .00001 range. This will give you a

better chance of converting the surfaces to a solid in

IronCAD.

2. Turn menus on (ctrl-m)

3. Modify, Special Techniques, Tolerance, Modify

enter the desired tolerance

4. Update(regenerate) the model. If any errors occur, the

tolerance

is too tight.

B) Export the file to IronCAD

1. Select File / Export

2. Highlight IGES and then select DONE.

3. Select the Entity you want to export (click and hold right mouse

to

access other geometry selection methods), then click the middle mouse

button

(DONE).

4. Under the IGES OPTION menu, select TRIMMED SURFACES, and

de-select POINTS

and CURVES under Entity Class Switches.

5. Select OK

6. Under the IGES FLAVOR, select B-Spline.

7. Select DONE until all geometry is exported.

Hey folks,

I have been working with this *&^$* file all day with Rhino and I thought I would just let you know what has been happening.

I started with the Unigraphics flavour Iges file as per Tom's suggestion. Rhino eats this file up without any problems. It 'Checks' OK. It will export anything you want without any problems. Basically Rhino doesn't see anything wrong with the model (all surfaces).

EdgeCam will open the x_t and iges output from Rhino. It says that the x_t file is non-manifold and thus won't recognize it as a solid. The iges file is all surfaces so feature recognition is not possible.

IronCad chokes on any file exported from Rhino. It will bring in the iges and x_t files but they show as 5584 parts (all surfaces, it takes about an hour). It will not convert to solid. IronCad is unusable in this state. Slower than EdgeCam support.

Remember that this is a single part that we are trying to make (Baseplate). It shouldn't be this difficult.

I suspect the original IDEAS model (again).

Our customer is certain to be thinking that we are a bunch of morons.

Cheers.

Rick, and Doug,

My sdrc client got back to me and said that he doesn't do anything special other than export in Unigraphics flavor. The files he sends to us are usually sophisticated surfaced models. I am sorry I can't offer more, but FYI

Some notes to file in the memory banks:

1. IronCAD can't see Holes and Cylidrical 3D data from SDRC imported geometry (no problems from any other CAD app). What I mean is when generating a 2D print from SDRC data. I can't access the centerpoints of the holes etc...

2. AS a var, i speak to many sdrc users looking to switch to another app. The primary reason that i hear from fustrated sdrc users is SDRC's support s___ks and the softwares abilities and capabilities haven't been updated in years to stay current with todays computer technology advancements. Since EDS purchased I don't believe its gotten any better (spectulation)

So my conclusion is that any problems and isues is at the SDRC end of the rope (noose) NOT IronCAD.

If possible, you may want your SDRC client to contact their technical support hotline and get their input. Knowing sdrc, they probably will just blame IC and be done with it , but its worth a shot.

Tom

...might also go back to the client and ask them to send you a basic cube to confirm that it works with the simplest of geometry. Once you know that the cube works; you can blame the more complex geometry as the area that the problem exists in.

As always; rick/doug if you can send the parts that won't import to us then you will at least give us a target to work towards with enhancing our translator.