New Nvidia Driver

Doug Gower

I wouldn't put too  much stock in that "IronCAD Approved" stuff.  Just go with the latest and greatest.

22812[/snapback]

I wouldn't have except for the fact that this is the only driver "for IronCAD" on their site that has my card listed... works good so far. They said the site just hasn't been updated. Interesting though the date on the installed driver says 2/1/2008.

- Doug

Doug-

Question #1 in the Tech Support handbook is, "Do you have the latest video card drivers?".

I would not limit yourself to installing only those drives which are "Certified" or whatever for IronCAD. Weather you have a Quadro chipset or a GeForce chipset, you best bet is always to go with the latest release of the video card drivers. I am pretty sure that the IC guys don't have the free time to "Certify" every driver that nVidia releases, and I can't think of any situation where a specific (older) driver was recommended over a newer driver.

The 2/1/08 date of your driver is old, because it was from a previous release (i.e, it is not new, but old). And as I do my homework, I see that the latest version of the Quadro driver is now 178.46, released last week...so I guess I too need to be aware that I am not using the latest video drivers.

I am not saying you need to update your drivers (I have no intension to today, if it ain't broke...), but if you do end up having graphic related issues in IronCAD, I would then definitely update to the latest version before I tried any bug hunting.

I hope that puts the importance (or lack there of) of the "IronCAD Certification" of the video drivers in its place....

I think those are good suggestions and it might be a good idea to make a note of the old drivers that work before you remove them.

NVidia's site is not up to date because when I went to download drivers and selected "Partner Certified" I get a driver that doesn't have my card listed even though I selected my card in the search.

When I asked them about this a couple times over a long span of time... yesterday they finally told me about this certified driver and said the website wasn't up to date to show it. So that led me to believe that it was new but obviously that doesn’t look like the case.

To NVidia's credit though... at least I've gotten better responses from them and they didn't completely throw away a question of mine like their largest competitor has and then close the ticket I started without a response when I had serious problems.

Personally... I cannot recommend any other brand after that other video card quit working correctly when I updated IronCAD and it basically went out of date with no driver updates while they removed IronCAD from the approved list for that card after about 2 years.

The NVidia card has been working fine and I have noticed improvements with driver updates.

• 1 month later...
Guest jkim522093

Recently, with IronCAD v11.0, I got random Application Error in some machine with

Windows XP SP2 32 bit.

These machines have nVidia GeForce chipset based Graphics card such as Geforce

9800GTX and GeForce 8600GT.

(With GeForce 8600GT and its driver dated Aug., 2008, we got graphics issue such

as long regeneration, no window when drop the Custom Hole in Tools Catalogue.

But with old driver on Dec. 2007, then it works fine without the above graphics

issue.)

And this sort of random Application Error and some other graphics issues seem to

largely depend on the Graphics Card and driver version.

So some people recommend us to go hi-end such as Quadro or FireGL, but it is too

expensive and no guarantee that it will clear the random Application Error.

In this regards, maybe share the experiences with some specific graphics card and

driver must be valuable for al the users here and there.

And also the recommendation of graphics card will be also helpful for others.

Any reliable graphics card/driver with general purposed graphics chipset wil be

greatly helpful for all the users.

Anybody there to share these experiences??????

JH