I'm Retarted Rant

Mike Twining

/ set Useful Information = Off

/ set Rant = On

So Sunday morning, before the 'ol Chargers game, I decided that I was not going to wait any longer for IC to support Vista (which I have at home), and I was just going to dual-boot Vista & XP. So I make myself a 50Gb partition on my primary hard drive (of which I have 2, the 2nd holds all my "data" and the 1st just holds Operating System files & such), throw an ORIGINAL XP (no service pack) upgrade disk into the 'ol CD-Rom and off we go...

...I get to the part in the install where it asks me where I should put XP. None of my options seem to be what I would have expected, but I do see an "unallocated" or "unknown" partition, and it is the second item on the list. A little too overconfident, I select that partition and format it with NTFS... and then proceed with the install. Upon re-boot, I got nothing (which was an option I was prepared for), so I put in the Vista boot disk and recovered (Vista at least).

Upon booting, I notice that there are NO DATA FILES. Thats right, I formatted that drive...so $50 in recovery software later, I learn that all the useful files were corrupt. So, with no more data to lose, I make a couple more attempts at installing XP, which eventually lead to the corruption of the Vista install, and a total loss of all things useful. So, now I am back to square 1: (Almost) new PC with fresh data-less hard drives... great... all because I wanted to do some IC home improvement projects

/ set Rant = Off

/ set Useful information = On

If you ever decide to install Windows XP on a new(er) computer, you should really make sure that the install disk has the proper drivers to recognize your hardware (in my case, the SATA drivers would have been pretty cool)...or else you could corrupt your whole set of hard drives.

So... how is the IC on Vista progress? Need some testers? I have a really clean install smile.gif.