V11 Progress

Guest rzito

Guest rzito

Cary & Kevin,

Hows is V11 going for Vista, I usually do about 70% of my designing at home.

I'd really like to get going with the vista version for my lap top.

Just keeping the pressure on!

Best Regards

Guest EricFoy
Rumour is that Microsoft will draw back Vista and instead they will release an new operating system called Windows 7. It is said that it will happen soon.

Your effort for Vista migration may be for nothing

21998[/snapback]

Maybe Windoze 7 will actually be something new...

Rumour is that Microsoft will draw back Vista and instead they will release an new operating system called Windows 7. It is said that it will happen soon.

Your effort for Vista migration may be for nothing

21998[/snapback]

Windows 7 is more than a rumour. It's the successor to Vista, planned to be released in 2009 or 2010. It's said to be more compatible with XP than Vista is, but that IS a rumour, AFAIK.

We're still adhering to XP and I think we will probably skip Vista entirely.

Beat

Guest EricFoy

Yeah, seriously...

If I were the main IronDUDE, I'd be looking hard and fast at Linux. Seriously. Microsoft is apparently going the way of all giants, about to topple under its own weight.

Has anybody else installed Ubuntu lately, for instance? I mean, it's quite the killer OS, very easy to install and manage, fully capable, fully functional, practically bug-free, bullet-proof, stable, and seemingly re-entrant in all aspects. The stuff really works. Linux has become way more than just a toy for the techies. It has more than proven itself in the web server genre, and I think it's only a matter of time before it becomes the predominant OS for scientific/engineering desktop applications.

Plus, IT'S FREE!

Now everyone repeat after me: IC for Linux. IC for Linux. IC for Linux.

IronDUDES, think of the opportunities! Ten thousand open source developers working on third party add-ons for IronCAD. Take a look at the open source community and the kind of quality stuff they regularly turn out. We're talkin' Triball for the masses here.

Think about it: Most IronCAD workstations do about one thing -IronCAD. Do they really need Windows? I know mine doesn't. If I could get IC to run on Linux, I'd still have email, scheduling, file sharing, -everything I need. Not only do I NOT need MS Office on my workstation, I would shoot any IT goon's knees off who suggested I should install it. With Windows, everything you install inflicts a performance penalty, so I run as bare-bones as possible.

Whew... 'guess I kinda got off on a roll there. I kinda jacked this thread, didn't I? Sorry. wink.gif

I know I am definitely in the linux camp, but as a realist, I am not holding my breath.

1) The IC code (from what I can tell) heavily relies on MS... even back in the day I think you even needed to have Office installed (...either that or you couldn't install Office AFTER IC... something like that).

2) V10 was basically a rendering and MS facelift update sad.gif

3) IC won't even run on Vista (the supported OS mfg. latest system) yet.

4) You don't really want all your coders working on porting a program to another OS until you have a pretty stable & bug-free foundation to port, and I don't think you get there without shifting the updates away from new features and towards performance/stability/bug-fix arena, and although I would certainly go for that type of thinking, my guess is that I am in the minority there.

...although, the IronCoders seem to be committed to C now (and have no real love for Visual Basic), so there is that going for us!

I agree to Mike

1. I would prefer IC working out the urgently needed & missing construction tools.

2. I would never install Vista, if I do not need to. As there is no important additional function, and as I heard it slows down the machine.

3. At the moment I am not interested in Linux as all around me is MS.

....just my personal opinion.

Carlo

Edited by cborer

Guest EricFoy

Okay... just having some fun here...

Picture, if you will, somewhat of a return to the late 80's, early 90's. Back then, if you wanted serious 3D CAD, you bought some largely proprietary hardware - a "workstation," I think they called it - from Sun, IBM, HP, Silicon Graphics... somebody like that. The thing came with some esoteric OS that only your service rep understood or could manipulate, and it had I-DEAS or CATIA or Pro/E, or even CADAM (remember that one?). Actually, I think CADAM only ran on a mainframe (370), through a gnarly terminal; but I digress...

Anyway, all in, you were talking, say 50 grand per seat to get going.

Then suddenly Solidworks appeared, and AutoDesk had some serious catching up to do. The whole 3D world was turned on its head as 3D graphics hardware became available for the PC, and desktop CPUs began to really churn out the MIPS. Remember MIPS (the brand)? But I digress again...

So here's my suggestion for a new paradigm in the "Desktop Workstation" genre. It's really a case of history repeating itself, as it is prone to do from time to time:

How many enterprises would be interested in providing for their engineers a serious machine that was specifically designed for just one thing -engineering? Is it possible that many of us are tired of running down to Costco or Fry's every six months to pick up yet another disposable box that will run IronCAD a little better than the last one, AND THEN HAVING TO INVEST SEVERAL HOURS into uninstalling all of the crapware that comes pre-installed, just to make it work right? Can I get a witness here?

Here's what I think would be uber-kool: you go down to Costco, grab the latest hot box, bring it back to the shop, and simply pop a CD into the drive and turn it on. Said CD erases Winblows (crapware included), and proceeds to install a nice, lean Linux system -IronCAD for Linux included. One simple procedure, and in twenty minutes you've got the coolest Workstation on earth. Then you go to your package manager and download all the IC-related add-ons you want - some free open source, some paid license - whatever you want. The open source community could just go hog-wild with this thing! Online file repositories, add-ins, add-ons, internet collaboration -the stuff Alventive provided, only based on what people want and need instead of what someone was trying to sell (I never could figure out what Alventive was selling, anyway).

IronCAD would simply become the world standard, as it should be.

$.02

Well, have a look at the old Atari 400/800 OS! Running a game like Star Raiders with strategic mode as well as real-time 3D-fly-through-space-and-kill-the-Zylons mode, all from a 8kB ROM cartridge on 3.5kB of free RAM (because the rest of the 16kB RAM was used for video)! With that sort of efficiency, imaging what IC could be like on today's hardware! Of course, you would have to go back to assembler coding (wanna hire me?)...

Or do you remember BeOS? When I booted that on my Mac, I was suddenly able to run 8 QT videos smoothly in parallel, when MacOS couldn't even handle a single one properly on the same machine...

At the moment, our company has only two compelling reasons not to switch to Linux:

IC and Filemaker

Beat