Text With Leader

bbuche

what controls the size of the original text box before you type anything. First of all this box is way too large. Second why cant the placement of the text be on the end of the leader line instead of inside this huge box. This results in me placing the text somewhere on my page typing what I want and then the extra step of now placing it where I wanted it to go in the first place. I hope you can return it to how it used to be and work when pu1 comes out.

Thanks

Brian

I think the issue is that the center of the text box jumps to the cursor location - and since the initial text box is so big, it makes it hard to position when you are zoomed in. (I believe this behavior was changed in IronCAD 9 in order to make the text snap to the grid.)

text_with_leader.swf

Another down side to this behavior, is that text boxes tend to jump to the cursor location, even when they are being selected with other items (for instance, when selecting a jpeg & a text entity to make a group, the text often jumps to the cursor & has to be moved back into place before the objects can be grouped.) It would be much better if the text could attach to the cursor at any point, not just the center of the text box.

I see what you are saying now. Let's see if we can come up with the desired behavior for the text with leader.

Let's try the simple case and see if it will work first: There is a style option (which seems to not work right now) on the text with leader. If the style allows you to select left justified for new text with leaders, would this fix the issue of the placement issue. Meaning that the text would place at the specified adjustment. So if the center is selected (it is as it is today). If it is left, the the leader and text would not jump.

Give me other ideas to see if we can get the correct behavior. But remember we still need to handle things like grid snap, alignment tools, etc.

Cary

Ideally, I think the text should automatically justify to whichever side the leader is on. Manually selecting a justification would override the automatic justify. The text box should start out at a minimal size (just to fit the default "Text") and expand as you type.

I think the biggest improvement would be to stop the text box from jumping to center itself on the cursor. It would be great if you could make the center of the text box snap to the grid, even if you grab it near the edge. I'm attaching a video of the way text is handled in Adobe Illustrator - to me that's the most natural feel.

drag_text.avi