My Hotfix2 Wish List

bbuche

Not in any particular order

1. catalog behavior (loading/read only tab color)

2. browser pop out (no shifting space)

3. auto fit sheet in drawing (like after hf1 in 9.0)

4. config drop down behavior (not displaying correct config till click in scene)

5. overall stability and memory management

thanks

Post your whish lists here

B-

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I will be the angry guy of this message board but come on IC it has been weeks and no hot fix in sight. People at my work and getting madder and madder loosing work at least 2 times a day every day now. Since I am on the boards they ask me to ask you WHEN WILL WE GET OUR HOT FIX?

Guest EricFoy

I can't help but wonder if there isn't some kind of system configuration change you could make in order to at least stave off some of these problems you're having. I'm not saying that I think the problem is on your end, and not a problem with IronCAD, but the fact is that I am finding IC10 to be quite stable, with only the rare memory management problem cropping up, and only after long and rigorous sessions (situations I can easily predict and take measures against).

To clarify, I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition (not even XP Pro, as required) on an HP Pavillion AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+, with Nvidia GeForce 7900. I am not pulling any files from the network. I have my project files on a secondary PATA hard drive. System HD is a seagate SATA. I almost always have Windows Media Player running, playing an internet radio station, which seems to cause no problems. Note that I am playing mostly smooth jazz or bluegrass, so I've got that going for me.

I'm just thinking there must be some difference between your setup and mine, and if you could make yours more like mine, your problems might be minimized. Who knows, Intel vs. AMD, numbers of external links (mine are few, but I DO use them), network vs. local drive...

Just a thought.

As a side note, a couple years ago I bought a new box (Intel, Gateway) that came with XP Home on it. It ran everything including IC just fine. But when I dutifully upgraded to XP Pro, problems began to appear. To be fair, I had completely reformatted and put on a clean install, so there may have been some CPU driver that wasn't right, or some esoteric thing like that. But experience has taught me that it is best to just leave the original OS on there, even though you have to spend a few hours getting all the Symmantec junk and other crud off of it.

We are using Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz and 3.25 gb of ram on a windows XP Professional platform. Using the 3gb switch with the Userva 2800. We are using a Nvidia Quadro FX 1500 card. When we bought our computers we talked directly to IC about what they suggested and modeled our purchase to that.

I appreciate you taking time to try and help us out. One difference we have is we work over a network. I will admit I think it is some of our problem but some of the things we run into are just straight IC and really unexplainable. I just cant believe out of the 250 people that read my post our company w/ like 30 seats of IC are the ONLY people having problems and are willing to speak up.

I know there are more people are out there and it is not a bad thing to tell IC what is going on so they can make it a better program. I think it is a great program and believe me I was a straight AutoCAD guy but we just need to get it back to where we had it after 9.1

Guest EricFoy

IronCAD is a very demanding app. Would it be worth your time to selectively detune one of your machines, or several of them, each in a different way, and then monitor their crash history? I'm thinking bios settings here, like add a wait state, stuff like that. There are many, computers out there that will run office apps all day long, being able to cover for their internal shortcomings, then along comes something like IronCAD, and the problems begin to reveal themselves.

I dunno, I'm really pulling at straws here. But I just can't get past the fact that my machine runs IC10 just fine, and I'm no powder-puff rider.

PS: Another thing that keeps me thinking it may be partially a hardware issue is this experience: I once had a pentium4, 3GHz machine that ran great in all respects, with the exception of one particular part that it could not regenerate. It gave the standard "there was a problem with part345..." error. So I just found another way to model it, and went on my way. Then one day I loaded the file onto an AMD machine, and the original model simply generated with no hesitation. There was some (however minute) difference in the way these two machines crunched numbers. It was a clear, obvious, repeatable phenomenon that qualified one machine, and disqualified the other. So I know that these strange and subtle differences do exist.

If all your machines are identical, and one is a dud, then, well, um, you do have a problem. Are you running IC10 on any totally different platforms?

Edited by EricFoy

Guest EricFoy

Just thought I'd add this note:

I always run IronCAD with the side cover off my machine, with auxiliary hard drives hanging out the side, strewn about.

I think this adds an air of relaxed informality to the workplace.

Hope this helps.