SpaceBall!!!!!

tlehnhaeuser

KNOWN ISSUES

---------------

- The Center of Rotation (COR) will change locations when panning and zooming with the 3DConnexion devices (Current limitation with the IronCAD Camera tools). To reset the COR, we recommend having the Target Camera as an option on the 3D Devices to allow quick re-targeting of the COR.

- Pan movement in the 2D drawing will not occur until a scroll region is available (Similar to current 2D Pan behavior). Scroll regions appear when zoomed in on a drawing.

OK - so it's probably time for me to get a spacemouse. Can anybody tell me what the differences are between the classic, plus and plusXT models and whether the additional features are supported by IronCAD?

TIA,

Beat

Andy -

That's a rather sad story. When the router finally got installed with much delay, it didn't perform quite as well as advertised (to put it mildly). After a bit of a fight, the manufacturer is now going to provide us with a upgraded model that should at least approach the specs we've been given originally. That's taking a while though. I'll let you know as soon as I have something (good) to say.

Beat

• 2 months later...
Guest rbame

Is anyone using a programmable MS 5 button mouse? Reprogramming my thumb buttons to the Tri-Ball and zoom extents as the smaller thumb button. The middle scroll button controls all camera angles so what is the deal with a space mouse? I have also reprogrammed my keyboard for hot keys with my left hand, like a,s,d,f,z,x,c,v?

Note: it only works with the 5 button MS mouse, which will allow you to program buttons specific to a particular program.. so what is the deal with a space mouse? It will not work with the Logitech 5 button mouse, I have tried it.. I would recommend this setup to anyone and would like to know what the fuss is about a space mouse?

The Spacemouse and the SpaceBall are different products. The SpaceBall is for more serious users or those with bigger wallets.

These products do not replace your mouse! They are supplemental control devices which allow you to work with both hands. You still need a mouse. A mega-button mouse or whatever will never do what a SpaceBall will do.

Unfortunately it is difficult to explain the pleasure of using a properly configured Spaceball. EdgeCams first implementation at V7.5 was ok (zooming previously required a window select) but they got it right at V7.75. Amazing control of the model.

We constantly switch back and forth between Cad and Cam. Having a consistent user interface would be a blessing. As it stands now, the SpaceBall is not useable in IronCad. You can't switch from a program that "works" to one that does "not work".

I hope that this will be fixed and that this was not just a quick implementation to quell the voices of the peasants.

My response to

"I ... would like to know what the fuss is about a space mouse?"

would be that unless you have tried using one then you could not possibly understand "the fuss". Read the stuff at Logitech. The awards and accolades from the various Cad/Cam magazines and over 200,00 users should give some clue.

• 3 months later...

Thank goodness for SpaceBall implimentation in IC. Now it really is the fasetet, easiest program I have ever used.

Is the space ball's function in drafting the same as other programs in this range? The only other program I have used a SpaceBall with is UG and its performance in UG drafting is much more intuitive. The sheet essentially behaves like a model but with rotations disabled (push away, pull closer, pull up moves the drawing up, left or right push to pan).

Is anyone else having trouble with the SpaceBall in drafting mode? Any suggestions?

Injection mold, jig and fixture design.

www.QuickCAD.biz

Yeah... I tried using it in the drawing mode, but I find that the axies (whatever the plural of axis is) seem reversed for some of the operations. In 3D, one uses the spaceball to control the part (move the ball toward you, and the part moves toward you...i.e. zoom in), however, in the 2D, it seems that the spaceball controlls the camera (pull the ball towards you and the drawing moves AWAY...i.e. zoom out). Since the drawing functionality is opposite what it is in the scene, I have just gone back to the mouse in 2d so that I won't get confused when I go back to working in 3d.

I, for one, would like to see the drawing controlls switched so the user is controlling the drawing and not the camera (if you will), just to be consistent with the scene controlls.

MikeT

Mike, Thanks for suggesting that the spaceball controls the camera in drafting. The drawing behavior makes a lot more sense now, thinking of it from the camera's POV but I just can't get used to it.

I also cast a vote for changing the drawing behavior to match the spaceball functionality in modeling, move the drawing, not the camera.

Also it seems like the sheet behavior is bound in some way to the sheet edge. I see how keeps you on the page but its confusing to be zooming out and all of a sudden there's panning you don't expect. Also when the whole sheet fits within the viewport you can't pan. I see the logic in this sort of "assist" but in practice it diminishes the simple intuitiveness of the spaceball.

Injection mold, jig and fixture design.

www.QuickCAD.biz

• 1 month later...

Well... I just borrowed a spaceball from a friend... so far I like it... got to get use to it.

It is the 4000FLX.

I noticed during the download that there are older types listed, and by the setup it looks like you can check the IC 6.0 drivers for them.

Has anyone used the older 3003 or 2002 spaceball for IC?