Is It Possible

bbuche

Question for the community.....

I am trying to make either an extruded shape or a surface that is in the shape of and oval but what I want to do is have it follow a curved surface. See the attachment. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to just extrude the oval and then remove the curved surface. Sorry if this is confusing but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks B-

ScreenShot001.bmp

B

You can do as suggested you can also draw a Oval as a 2D shape than use the Split Face tool, then thicken the resulting surface.

there is also the 3D curve projection method as well. However judging from your image, I think I would use the Split Face option. If the oval needs to be to exact dimensions, then this approach may need tweaking to make up for the suface curvature.

Hope this helps

Tom

heres a file if helps

tom

oval.ics

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

You are making it to hard I think Tom smile.gif

Simply drop the ellipse or whatever extrude shape you are trying to create onto the curved surface. Pull the handle so that the extrude start is inside of the curve surface. Then go to the intellishape Surface Reshaping and Turn on the Match option on the start section and set "Make opposite ends match".

Cary

Match.avi

You are making it to hard I think Tom smile.gif

Simply drop the ellipse or whatever extrude shape you are trying to create onto the curved surface. Pull the handle so that the extrude start is inside of the curve surface. Then go to the intellishape Surface Reshaping and Turn on the Match option on the start section and set "Make opposite ends match".

Cary

Match.avi

19869[/snapback]

Cary,

Always had trouble understanding that option. What is this needed to be a separate part?

Oddly enough, if you create the part as Cary did, then delete the original shape, you end up with the just the desired part.... which somehow remembers everything about the original shape it was built off: If you stretch the handles outside where the original shape was, the part fails, and if you stretch the handles past the other end of where the original shapse was, the face flips...

Unfortunately, there is no way to modifiy or edit the original (source) shape or the chararicteristics after deleting the shape...but if you like what you have, it is a nice trick!