What happened to the image quality?

Andrew Owens

I am very disappointed with the image quality of transparent objects in version 6. As most IC users probably already know, in the previous few versions, after you edited the cross section of any Intellishape, the rendering of transparent objects in the scene would miraculously change from pixilated to photorealistic, it was fantastic. This is no longer the case. Why couldnt you have just turned the excellent rendering mode on permanently when IC starts? What's the story with this IronDudes?

I have been extensively using transparencies to visualize and position complex mechanisms into very tight spaces. Now that transparent objects render only in a pixilated mode, the whole experience of transparency visualization in IC is considerably diminished! IC 6.0 has a lot of great new features, but Ill have to consider this issue a downgrade.

System data: P4 2Ghz; 1 GB RAM; Win 2000 Pro; ATI Fire GL 8800; Open GL mode

Andrew Owens

quote:
Originally posted by dlalonde:

I note that Andrew has an ATI card...

id=quote>
id=quote>

Please explain, do you mean:

"No wonder, it's an ATI, and we all know about these, don't we"

or:

"Strange, since all these people talked so nicely about ATI Fire GL 8800 here lately, and NVIDIA seem to have all the issues now."

Guest dlalonde

I thought the transparency problem was limited to Nvidia products only. We have been seeing several problems with the Nvidia cards. But as I type this, I remember that my old 3dlabs GVX1 card had the same problem with transparency. I have confidence that the Irondudes will fix it.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hi Andrew,

I may not be the right person to answer this, but I'll give you as much detail as I know. In previous versions of IronCAD, the rendering you saw in the 2D Cross-section was based off of an OpenGL option. The issue with this is that it was Order Dependent based on the scene browser. What that means...in the 2D cross-section mode, geometry may change its viewable state and become hidden due to the order in the scene browser (not based on the view direction in the scene). In the other modes (outside of 2D Cross-section) the graphical display is not order dependent of scene browser and would give the correct display. The change in 6.0 made it so that the display would not be order dependent, hence losing the nice graphical display on the transparency. We are looking at our graphical display and settings for the display of transparent object and hope to have a good solution over the next major releases. Hope this help explain why the sudden change (it is for the better in most cases :) ).

Thanks,

Cary