Split Parts But Keep As One Entity

tlehnhaeuser

Split Parts but keep as one Entity.

Sounds wierd but not sure how to apprach this but I am doing a cost estimation for a new construction garage.

So it would be extremley helpful to manage scrap and cutoff pieces from a single part.

Example: Layouting the Floor I am trying to determine how many 4 x 8 plywood sheets I need. The potential to cutup one sheet in several useable pieces is obvoius, but lets say I get 3 pieces out of one sheet. I need the 3 pieces really to be included as (1) 4 x8 in a BOM for costing. If anyone has ideas around this especially because I also must maintain links to get proper quantities.

thanks

Tom

I don't know what your model tree looks like, but could you make an assembly of all the cut pieces (one assembly per sheet of plywood) and then treat the assembly as a part (for the BOM purposes). That'll count correctly as long as you put the same part number in for all your linked full sheets (and use the same part nubmer for your assemblies of cut sections of wood).

Mike, I thougt that intially and thought the quantities would be off because of the broken links, However, you reminded me that we can do part count on part numbers now and I think that your apprach would be a suitable workaround.

I'll give a shot.

thanks

tom

PS: I think though as a great new feature for V11 would be to "split" parts but keep them as one entitiy would eliminate alot of legwork. the "split" parts could be positioned independently as needed like any normal part. Maybe call it "Divide" Part or something like that.

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

Cant you just have two intellishapes in one part (forming the splited parts), that have the same partnumber?

/ Marcus

19276[/snapback]

Well Marcus, not sure about that, however the drawback I see right off the bat is that knowing myself I would probably end up resizing the intellishapes somewhere along the line and then end up a a total size beyond 4 x 8 and with the potential to of a section not capable from the sheet.

If we get this new "Divide" tool another great feature would be that it would maintain a set mass. In other words set a mass to the part then lets say divide into 3 parts ( maybe thru split tool) then I make one pieces edge smaller (reducing mass) then a prompt would pop saying something like "Select edge of another divide pice to add modified mass to". In essence I am a removing material from one piece while its being added to another piece to maintain the set mass value.

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

How will you account for waste? Usually, when you cut up a sheet of plywood, there is a certain amount of sawdust generated. The divide tool would have to be able to take into account the thickness of the cutting tool and estimate how much of the original material will end up on the shop floor.

How will you account for waste? Usually, when you cut up a sheet of plywood, there is a certain amount of sawdust generated. The divide tool would have to be able to take into account the thickness of the cutting tool and estimate how much of the original material will end up on the shop floor.

19282[/snapback]

Good point, as for larger water material, they could possibly be"marked" as waste and ignored in any BOMs. As for the sawdust part of it possibly setting a blade thichness.

BTW, I know theres sheetmetal software that does this I believe but never saw how the software in use.