...a few thoughts about advertising

dsulli

Thanks Shaun and everyone else for replying and providing your own "insight" to this subject.

"Getting the word out" is important not only to add new customers, but it can really help to retain those you already have.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Thanks Shaun for your honest report.

As owner of a very little design company I know these problems very well.

Guerrilla marketing ( nice name!) is a good low budget way.

I do the same.

IC 6 will be stronger than ever; and the concept is still the best.

IC works the way a modern CAD should do!

Also when there are still some functions missing.

I often amaze people with showing what IC does.

Best advertising is when we show what IC does.

We sit in the same boat. And we want to keep IC going on.

Maybe the user is even the best promoter. ( in the alventive days it was hard to promote IC)

Well it is not that easy to sell a CAD.

The cheaper Innovate may be is a good step to sell IC easier.

Good Luck

Carlo

• 1 month later...

I realize money is tight for a company of IronCad's size, but I was at the Chicago Trade Show yesterday and this is what I found.

AutoDesk and Solidworks had some good sized displays for their products. They also had hourly demonstrations of their latest softwares. I walked by these two areas 3 times throughout the day. Each time around all 30 to 40 seats were full and there were people standing behind and on the sides as well. Each company had about a dozen partners who build add on packages included in the display area. I approached a few of them and asked them if they could directly import Ironcad files. Two of them said "Ironwhat" They were pretty proud of the list of other software programs they could directly import from, but Ironcad was nowhere to be seen. I realize that because they had a full house at the demos does not mean they are going to sell software to every one of these people. This type of exposure sure can't hurt though. These booths were probably two of the busiest booths in the whole show. Even if IronCad did a show every two or three years, it seems if nothing else it would let people know that it's still around and hasn't disappeared completely. Like a quote I saw earlier in the forum. "Out of site, out of mind"

We happily can see that the talk about more frequent press releases is followed up by action.

It is also interesting to to read the article:

"Cad five years down the road"

by John Connolly,

follow the extremely long adress link here:

http://www.timecompress.com/magazine/magazine_articles.cfm?article_id=204&issue_id=65&articles=204,206,207,208,209,210,212,213,214,188,189,190,191,192,193,194,195,196,197,198,199,200,201,215,164,165,166,167,168,169,170,172,173,174,175,176,177,1

The two top trends in his article are:

1. A movement toward the Internet for sharing data live and for quickly modifying complete solid models.

2. A movement to work more freely with large assemblies in a true what-if environment, making radical design changes on the systems level without breaking the rules governing construction of current history-based models.

I believe IronCAD is on the right track here, just go tell the masses.

Also, PTC seems to have spread lots and lots of their Pro/Desktop Express software. No wonder, since it's free.

Maybe IronCAD should consider a similar route to make the IronCAD 3D modeling interface introduced to many times more people, and create some inertia.

Perhaps a free Inovate Lite could be it, or if licencing for sub program codes makes this impossible, a $99 version could make it very tempting for a lot of people, even for their private pocket money.

The proper functions should be omitted, the ones that professionals need, but students and home users would not miss, just like Adobe has done with their $609 Photoshop vs the $99 Photoshop Elements.

• 1 month later...

quote:
Originally posted by Shaun Murphy:

4. You can do press releases that get distributed to nearly every CAD manager in on form or another. We have a goal of at least two a month.

Regards Shaun M.

id=quote>
id=quote>

Since that post we saw three press releases in february, two in march and none in april so far.

Just keeping an eye on the PR dept ("PR" stands for Press Releases, right?)