...a few thoughts about advertising

dsulli

Advertising can accomplish many things. I believe that product recognition is one of the most important results for a couple of reasons:

1. Name recognition wields surprising weight when it comes time for managers to decide whether a more "popular" brand is a better choice, regardless of which brand is the best fit for the company.

2. Often, greater "coverage" of advertising infers greater acceptance in the marketplace. If a company keeps advertising that they are the "Standard", and are unchallenged, people will start to believe them.

3. Many gaming consoles have fallen by the wayside because software companies did not perceive them to be worthy of their programming compatibility time. It seems everybody wants to create games for Playstation II, even though Gamecube is superior.

What I'm saying is that it is far easier to achieve acceptance of a software package if its name and accomplishments are well known in the industry. Many of us have to justify staying with products that we have recommended. Not seeing the product in industry mags only makes things harder for us.

How about you people? Would it make your life easier to have your bosses see great write-ups and success stories in MCAD mags?

Thoughts/comments?

Well, Alibre advertises all the time for $495 per seat cost. I guess the high-end software, like Catia and Unigraphics Solutions have such a large user base that they don't need to advertise. What they may not realize is that sales of smaller-cost programs can eat into their potential user base.

But yes, advertising is always both a gamble and a potential investment. Now if we can get Joe Greco to write an article on 6.0, get some of us IC users to have our success stories published, and get the IC chiefs back into the news, everyone would be happier, IMO.

Guest svangeldern

I'd be happy with a new IC tee shirt ( like the one that came with the slick metal binder that held the manual , anyone remember those?).

Steve

Guest dlalonde

Yup, used the binder to bribe my cadkey-breathing coworker into trying Ironcad. Just used my old IC t-shirt to clean up spilled motor oil after working on the Subaru (why is it that ugly cars last forever?)

Here's an idea - Anyone out there willing to barter with Ironcad LLC - make them some IC keychains (or other trinkets) in exchange for Armour Advantage or new seats?

My T-shirt is due for replacing, that's for sure.

The only shortcoming about including IC goodies to customers is that in a sense, you are "preaching to the choir". Advertising in MCAD mags can generate interest from those who may have looked elsewhere.

Do you remember the "Edge" shaving cream ads? "Edge is a gel!" Gillette has never been able to recover its donination of shaving cream after those ads aired for a year or so.

Clever marketing can go a long way.

I must say I'm a bit divided over that subject - the original one, not the shirts and the binders wink.gif.

More advertising means a larger user base which can support more developers who could turn IC into an even finer program even faster - theoretically. Unfortunately, experience shows that, as companies grow, an ever larger proportion of the resources flows into administration, and developers (are told to) become less and less responsive to the requests of individual users. I see several of my suggestions incorporated into IC6 and I like that a lot. I doubt this would be possible with AC or SW. And for my part, I don't care (heck, it even gives me an individualist's kick) if I'm one of just a few who use IC. I prefer to see my AA contract money flowing into development of the software rather than into some stupid sales blurb and a semi-naked cyber-chick in a glossy journal. If you have a fine product, word of mouth will lead to much more natural growth, and creditbility is improved, too. IC will probably never put its larger competitors out of the race w/o a massive advertising campaign. But living at the top is always a dangerous gamble, too, and I think the longterm chances of survival are better if IC follows its current path.

Just my 2 Rappen,

Beat

Ahh, so true if you represent a very small company, but the mid to large size companies need to hire engineers, designers, and draftspeople. Is it advantageous to use software that is well-known and popular, knowing that many potential employees are already accustomed to it? I would think so.

Most CAD managers are aware of this and believe me, this scenario is often used for justification to switch over from little-known to well-known software.

Have you ever heard the saying, "Outta sight, outta mind"?

...a few more cents......

Dave

Interesting discussion. Both Beat and Dave make some good arguments. In line with what Beat said, our "other" software vendors CEO recently told me that they have reverted from the "many engineers thrown at the problem" to "better engineers but less of them". They feel that this is better for their company and their product in the long run. We shall see how it pans out. Your comment about more resources flowing into administration is all too correct. We are struggling to adapt to that very situation.

All that aside I will say this. Whenever I see media coverage about the "other guys" I invariably get a bit ticked off. Why? It bothers me that a bitchin' product like IronCad doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves. (Read-NO Mention) Frankly, I'm getting tired of "Is that AutoCad?" (Read-I want to scream like a madman you moron, your inane attempt to impress me has failed miserably) or "I've never heard of it." Ouch.

Oh, almost forgot. I also like the fact that some of the suggestions that I have made seem to have made their way into V6.0.

And Dave. I would love to rip your argument apart but alas, I can't. You are all too correct. Unfortunately too many people are unwilling to stick their neck out for something that they know is better but might not be as popular. How does that saying go? No-one ever got fired for buying IBM. (Of course, this coming from a guy who did buy a Beta and also loves his Macs. It must be a weakness or something.)

--A couple of Canadian sense--

Certainly, many good points have been presented here.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that it seems some employees get nervous about being good at using a little-known software and their potential lack of "marketability, should they look for employment elsewhere. It may be akin to being a Mac expert in a world full of Windows. Believe me, it you are a network engineer, you had better be well-versed in Windows!

Incidently, Rick, I have the same weakness. However, this "trait" is not at all bad - it's more like sticking-up for the little guy who is surrounded by bullies!

quote:
Originally posted by dsulli :

Ahh, so true if you represent a very small company,

id=quote>
id=quote>

A very small company is indeed what I represent. And should I not be able to keep it from growing beyond 20 people, I will probably leave it and found a new one. Clearly, that means that our needs are different and I didn't mean to dispute the arguments brought up previously. I just wanted show that there is also another point of view and point out that companies following a slow-growth strategy tend to be less "successful" in the short term but a larger proportion of them seems to make it in the long run.

Also, I'm a molecular biologist and therefore, I'm unlikely to be asked whether I'm proficient with AutoCAD smile.gif.

Cheers,

Beat

The company for which I work, with 150 employees, is probably a bit larger than IronCAD LLC. However, every single issue of Sea Technology magazine has a full-page ad of ours near the front cover. We have fewer than four serious competitors and yet we keep our logo out there where potential customers can see it.

Now granted, a full-page ad runs $2500, but one extra sale per month for us pays for this cost.

....just thinking out loud..............!

Guest ebedding

In our business we need to staff up rapidy for large projects or bubbles of work. My new manager just recently said he thinks we need to switch to the more mainstream SolidWorks to be able to easily find people without any ramp up time. He has not heard of IronCad because there is so little press on the product. We who actually use the software may feel otherwise but sometimes decisions tend to be made by the higher ups. I find the speed & simplicity of IronCad allows me more time to design without wasting alot of time on fussing around with the software. IronCad will need to differentiate their product vs the competition to show how the product is faster in designing a concept or product thus saving valuable time.

I wish marketing a product was the small part of the business, unforntunately it is a necessary evil for all companies unless your are a sole supplier of a product. You shell out a SH$%^ load of money for a gamble of who will respond.

I have personally seen companies purchase inferior products for the mere fact that they had seen there name in magazines often.

We have just gone through a full marketing compaign for our company. I have absolutely no background in the field thats why we got experts. We had interviewed many marketing firms and the common topic for ALL of them was repeatition. Its not how good your product is, its pounding an image into a consumers brain, in part... brainwashing.

Thats why ProE beat SDRC (even though at ithere inception SDRC was a better product) thats why SolidWorks beats everyone (even though IronCAD is a better product).

Just my 2.5 cents worth

Back a few years ago, shortly after Cadence ran a Joe Greco comparison article of SW, SE, and Inventor, I e-mailed him and asked him why he chose only those three. He replied that they are the most popular and hence, are the programs MCAD people want to read about. He did mentiion that IronCAD was far easier to use than any of them, but Joe still has to sell his articles to make a living, so I can't blame him for "narrowing the field".

The latest thing seems to be a proliferation of articles that are written by big shots with SW, SE, and Inventor, obviously to get even more press time.

Guest svangeldern

I recently had a conversation with a prospective client who was representing a start up company. He mentioned that they were considering CATIA for their design software but complained about the associated software and hardware costs. I mentioned I use IC and that it has CATIA translators and IC might be a more cost effective solution. His response was what is Ironcad?. At this point I showed him things I had done in IC and he walked away VERY impressed and said he was going to reconsider his options.

A few days later I spoke to him again and during our conversation I asked what he was going to do about design software. Well I feel funny telling you this but Ironclad is not doing too well and besides they only have a few developers was his response. To me this was obviously CATIA spin but it was enough to convince him to stay away. I am sure if IC had more visability in the market place he would not have been duped so easily.

Personally, I'm sticking with the lean, mean IC team. Now, about those new tee shirts.....

Steve

I hope you don't mind me offering an IronCAD perspective into this very interesting thread. So here goes;

First what I agree with:

1. IronCAD is a lot better product than what it gets credit for

2. Awareness is important when establishing brand preference

3. Smaller companies can be more responsive to individual needs

So how do we get more brand awareness? Placing an advertisement is one way but there are lots of others which I will get into later.

Magazine advertisements do help with brand awareness but they do not always lead directly to sales. For a company the size of IronCAD we have to make sure that all every dollar spent leads directly to a sales opportunity. We have tried magazine advertising and the return on investment did not justify continuing the practice. Would it have in the long term, maybe but we do not have that luxury of finding out. Placing an ad now when people are not buying would be a waste of our resources with no possible return. We will revist magzine programs when the economic climate improves.

So what are those other ways that we are trying instead:

1. Partnering with other products. Last year we did this with Rhino and VisualMill. The Rhino one was very successful and we will be repeating that with an exciting follow-on announcement late Q1. We will be looking for others.

2. You can utilize the web. We did the Virtual MCAD show with IB Systems which generated a lot of awareness and leads. We will be doing another one in March, so stay posted.

3. You can do feature ads on the web. You should be seeing some posted on MCADcafe real soon.

4. You can do press releases that get distributed to nearly every CAD manager in on form or another. We have a goal of at least two a month.

5. You can talk with the press and analyts. Joe Greco and I have been talking regularly to improve our mentions in his articles. You should see the effects of that in all he writes. He is planning to do a IC 6 review. We are also going to visit key press and analysts in a press tour that should lead to extra mentions.

These kinds of activities I call guerilla marketing. We will be doing more of these kinds of things to keep the IC name out there.

In addition to what we are doing you can also play a part. You can keep up the great word of mouth promotion that you have been doing. We have a Tell A Friend program that will give you cash and other types of incentives for your effort. Take advantage of those offers.

In closing I would like to say that IronCAD is getting stronger. We have a number of activities under way that will increase the level of development on the product and get us additional third party offerings based on the IC platform.

Thank you for your loyalty to the product you will not be dissapointed. I have been with the product since it was first conceived back in 94 and I intend to stay with it until the vision is completed.

Regards Shaun M.