Mouse / Cursor Synchronicity

Guest EricFoy

Guest EricFoy

I'm hoping someone may have run across this and found the fix. First of all, I'm running an HP Pavillion a1450n w/ Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 4GB, nVidia GeForce 7900 GT on a PCI Express x16 card. I am running dual monitors. This is kool, 'cause I can have browsers & spreadsheets & stuff open and visible while running IC (9.0, hotfix whatever is the latest).

Here's the problem: There seems to be some sort of loss in communications between IC's command processing center and its display processing subsystem, or the graphics hard/soft/firmware (I'm making this stuff up, as I have no real concept of IC's internal architecture). Anyway, the symptoms include:

• hourglass cursor during selections
  • TriBall requires extra left-clicks to get right-click functions to work
  • Sizebox dimension input dialogs reopen by themselves after closing
  • Curve highlights remain after deselection
  • etc.

Basically, everything happens, like, one event behind schedule. Behavior is the same in software or OpenGL rendering, and regardless of which screen the app is running on.

Any ideas?

• Sizebox dimension input dialogs reopen by themselves after closing

17985[/snapback]

This ones been around since V7 if I remember correctly. As far as the other points are concerned, it's possible that I've encountered them but not frequently enough to really bother me.

Beat

[*]hourglass cursor during selections

[*]Sizebox dimension input dialogs reopen by themselves after closing

[*]Curve highlights remain after deselection

17985[/snapback]

I've expereince the above as well in addition I have experienced:

- When I select edges to blend some edges will not highlight even though they ARE selected.

tom

Hi everybody.

Dear Tom.... I don´t have these problem always.... but I remember some stuff like these, although I knew that it was resulted of my pentium with poor RAM, however I bought a new one, it is a Laptop Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 with 2GB with integrated video, Now I have problems with not bigger enough assemblies, my scene become too slow... What happen, is IC problem or is my new computer. sad.gif

Regards.

Note:

my pc was designed to Vista but I work with XP.

Got hyperthreadding enabled? Running 32-bin Windows with the /3GB?

Back in the early days of multi processors (or cores or whatever), I used to use a tool which would allow you to quickly and easily set process affinitys (lock in what currently running programs would use which processors)... the idead being you put everything on one processor and IronCAD on the other. A quick google returns sooo much I can't find what it is I used to use, but it worked really well (it was noticeable). If you have never set an affinity before, you do so through the taskmanager (taskmgr.exe): Under the "Processes" tab, when you right click on a process you have a "Set Affinity" option. Unfortunately, it only address the individually selected process, and the settings are NOT maintained when the process is ended (i.e. IronCAD is closed).

Another thing I have seen in the past is performance issues when a program is not running on the "primary" monitor (in a dual monitor setup). I would have assumed that these have been all but solved with updated video drivers and such... but it is something to try.

Guest EricFoy
Are these problems only when using dual monitors?

18000[/snapback]

Yes, as far as I know, I have only had these problems running a dual monitor setup. For this reason, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the video end of things. I have tried shutting down as much "extra junk" like multiple desktops, etc., with some success (the problems aren't as bad). Also, I forgot to mention the occasional "video lockup", where the screen just stops updating altogether, and I get, like, a black screen upon switching windows within IC (ctrl-tab). The rest of windows keeps on going just fine - only IC freezes up. Sometimes switching to software rendering works for a while, then it all goes south. When this occurs I must exit and restart IC. Sometimes I can run a session for hours before this happens, but sometimes it occurs within the first five minutes. I have not experienced any data loss due to this problem.

It's pretty clear to me that this is a video driver or hardware problem, but that it has to do with IC's communication with the video system. No other apps have any probs.

I'm running dual monitors here (as Dual View with Nvidia FX500). I don't seem to have the same issues you are mentioning. Do you have it setup so that it acts as two monitors or one monitor spread across the two (meaning..can you see the start menu bar on both monitors)? I assume you have the latest graphics drivers? Can you capture the issues in a AVI and send them in so we can see if we are missing the steps?

Thanks

Cary

Guest EricFoy

Cary:

I'm running true dual monitors. One is plugged into the analog output of the graphics card, the other into the digital output. The digital is primary, the analog secondary. I have selected "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" for the secondary monitor (this is found on the Windows' Display Properties | Settings dialog).

There's about a zillion different ways to set these things up. sheesh!

I've tried various configurations, but I am far from having exhausted all the possibilities.

As for the AVI capture, can you recommend an app that can do this? I've never attempted it before.

Thanks for the help.