Sweep Flipping

David Thomas

I'm trying to sweep along a 3d curve, having generated the curve from the edge of a loft. This works fine from the edge of a block and a 2 profile loft (i.e straight edge) but when I use the curve from a curved edge of a 3 profile loft I get some funny behaivour.

That is, when I go to sweep the section and finish the command, it flips the part about a plane so I end up with the wrong part.

I have tried mirroing the 2d section, in the hope that , in trying to make the wrong part it will then make the right part, but Ironcad then behaves as it should and makes the correct part, which is still the wrong part !!! Brrrrr

Switching the direction of the guide curve has some effect, but only that resultant part is now correctly orientated, but is is skewed over a bit and not faithful to the orginal 2d section.

I did come across this about a year ago, but the particular workaround was to switch to Parasolid, but this has no effect now.

See the images. Does anybody else experience this ? Is this a bug or is there a workaround.

Rhino here we come.....

Step1.jpg

Step2.jpg

Edited by David Thomas

yep that is exactly what I'm after.

So I tried your method, and it works fine.

Go back to my method and it still flips it.

Your using the "All in One Sweep Command" up in the toolbar, I had been creating my section first and then right clicking it and Creating Sweep.

See attached file.

It interesting that when you use the "All in one Sweep Command" that you snap onto the 3d curve itself, rather than the face of the loft, I think you must somehow pick up its orientation.

(This is a bit like when you try to loft several sections but their orientation is different and the loft scrabbles up)

Sweep1.zip