Creating Welds?

tlehnhaeuser

TRying to make continuous welds on 2 or more parts. Does anyone know of a fast way to create a continuous weld between the 2 parts shown.

weld2.JPG

I know alot of workarounds, but maybe soemone knows something better since my client has to apply a few hundred welds to his assembly.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

tom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EricFoy

The way I've done it in the past:

1: Make *two* copies of the assy that I want to weld together.

2: With copy #1, Boolean (union) all the parts, then [optionally] combine all the shapes.

3: Create your welds by putting a chamfer or blend where you want the weld. Interrupted welds take some extra work.

4: With copy #2, Boolean (union) all the parts, then [optionally] combine all the shapes.

5: Subtract copy #2 from copy #1, then [optionally] combine the resultant shapes.

6: You now have your welds. Drag them up into the original assembly.

Now, granted, these shapes don't look exactly like a weld, but this can be a pretty fast way to get the job done. The only other decent way I know is to grab an edge of one of the welded parts and use it as a guide curve to generate a sweep shape.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "weld" tool that works just like "chamfer" or "blend", but creates a stand-alone shape after prompting the user for the guide edge and weld-to surface? I feel an ER coming.