Monitor Report

rfisk

After finally convincing myself that I should replace my 19" CRT, I bought a 24" wide screen from Dell. It is just fantastic. Fast enough, bright enough and a lot crisper than the old CRT. I also save about $200 dollars buying it through their outlet website.

If only in IronCad we could undock the scene browser and catalogs.

Hi!

About two months ago I got a great deal on a Samsung 24" widescreen. Very bright and crisp. Unfortunately about 3 weeks later I got an ocular migraine (prism-like effects in the eyesight that last about 20 miniutes, followed by a two day headache). I blamed too much espresso, so cut back on the java (boohoo). A week later got another migraine. A week after that a third, followed by incredibly painful eye strain. Bad enough that I had to take about a week off from looking at pretty much anything, with constant visual artifacts, even while in the dark. I switched back to my trusty old CRT and after a week or so all seems to be OK.

I think that the new flat screen LCDs are powered by very bright flourescent bulbs, and coupled with the 60 Hz refresh rate can cause serious eye strain.

If you're using one, please consider reducing the brightness. Ocular migraines are not fun.

J.

We are looking at the ability to undock Catalogs, but the scene browser is not going to be considered for this. The reason is the scene browser is tied to the scene window and not the IronCAD Application Window. This allows you to open multiple scenes and tile them which allows you to compare the contents in the scene bowser in each window. If we hooked the Scene browser to the IronCAD application window, you would lose this ability. You would have to click in each scene to have the browser update to that scenes contents (in other words you could only see the browser contents for one window at a time). So we do not plan to break the current capability unless the user base prefers the other solution.

Cary

I cant see that the HZ will create flicker on a TFT screen.

Those are totaly different than CRT´s

The spot/dot/pixels is more like On/ Off. They will lit until told not to.

What you can suffer from on a low HZér TFT is that the rotation of 3d modells can be not really realtime like.

CRT´s and HZ a different game.

There we have a catode beam redrawing all lines say 60 times per sec.

The beam hits each spot/dot/pixel of lumination material on the glass wall.

That material will light for a very short time, so the beam have to hit it soon again.

If the beam is to slow, the user sees flicker.

Above the mhz, the lumination material can have different luminate times, so you cant say that 75hertz is flickerfree. It depends on the lumination material prop.

You can actually create a flicker free CRT with 40 hertz (with slow lumination material), but that screen will be slow on update of graphics.

Edited by Robert Andersson