Best Computer Configuration For Icad And Photoshop

mgajewski

Hi,

I intend to buy a new computer in March 2007.

Id appreciate advice what configuration would work for fast IronCAD modeling and rendering and Photoshop work. I am reasonably knowledgeable about computers but not a highly technical person so please keep the wording and concepts simple smile.gif

Also is it possible to get a pretty good set up for the above for about $3000? (computer only, I already have a nice LCD monitor). If $3000 is not enough, how much should I budget?

Is getting two processors worthwhile?

Are there any preconfigured computers that would do a good job?

Thanks!

Mark

... and an Apple Mac Pro for Photoshop...

16347[/snapback]

As much as I really love my Mac and wouldn't give it up for anything (but a newer Mac) - in my experience, Photoshop runs exactly the same on a Mac or a PC. But it does use up a LOT of memory (& doesn't give it up until you exit the program.) Extra drive "scratch" space also really comes in handy.

I suggest you buy as much RAM as you can afford - 4GB would be a reasonable amount, if you are a power-user in both IronCAD & Photoshop. Both programs run happier if they have lots of RAM (especially if you need to use them at the same time.)

It depends on the complexity of your model. I'm of the opinion you get as fast as you can afford (for the processor), but as Cary stated: go for the dual processor (or dual core). While IronCAD will only be able to utilize one at a time, for those instances where you have a computationally intensive task (like updating a detailed view), you can still be productive with your computer doing other things, like browsing the IC forums for example. Photoshop, on the other hand, WILL be able to take advantage of both processors (or cores).

Same thing goes for the video card. Assuming you are NOT going to be too upset if your video games don't run as well as you like, you should go for a CAD card (like the Nvidia Quadro series). It'll have much better on-board 3d computation, but a little slower "coloring" (which is not a problem when CADding). For what its worth, as of IC 9, you can not use more than 128M of video memory (correct me if I am wrong here), not to say that will not change in the upcomming releases.

And as already mentioned, DON'T try to save your money on the memory. Get as much as you can and as fast as you can. Anything you can do to prevent swapping to the pagefile will save you time and hair.

I had a Raptor HDD on my previous computer, and I must say I miss it. It felt much faster and more responsive than my present HDD. I would go for one again if I had the possibility. If you need more storage memory, you can put the system and programs on the Raptor disk and store the working files on a second, larger drive.

Edited by Per-Arne Almeflo

Just a question on the side: has anybody tried using a fast flash ram stick or card for the swap file? The read/write speeds are not necessarily faster than that of a HD, but the access certainly is...

Beat

I have no idea whether you can get a Blurred Solidworks Ornamental Drawing by removing the swapfile HD. It certainly sounds plausible. You might want to give it a try smile.gif

Also, the results is probably different whether you remove a Windows page file disk or a Photoshop scratch file disk.

Cheers, Beat

Guest IronKevin10.0

Slightly unrelated:

I installed Ubuntu Live Linux at home this weekend, it boots and runs the OS completely from CD and swaps to the hard drive. Performance was amazing, not exactly sure how they do it smile.gif

I'm interested in getting IronCAD running under a Linux Windows Emulator (at HOME) but of course that would leave me unsupported!!!!

• 1 month later...

As Mike said

- in my experience, Photoshop runs exactly the same on a Mac or a PC

One thing to consider - if you add a 3D controller. Will it work with the Mac? I've heard a 3D Connexion works great with Photoshop and I think you could try a free demo, but I don't think it works on the Mac (for photoshop)? It does work with IC though and that might make a case for running only Windows.

I see from the Support section of the the 3D Connexion website that their Space Navigator has a Mac OS-X driver. Their other products all seem to have Unix & Linux drivers, which (hypothetically) should work for OS-X (since OS-X is basically a version of Unix.)

When I switched to a Mac at home, all of my peripherals transferred without problem. I was also pleasantly surprised at the volume of freeware drivers, utilities & programs available for OS-X - many of which were written for Unix/Linux, but would install & run perfectly in OS-X (look for *.pkg files.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest wkoppler

We want to buy two new CAD - computers in march, too.

If you would have free choice between Dell Precision 490 Xeon

with Core Duo, Core Quadro, Dual Processor or Quadro Processor

which one would you prefer? cool.gif

We work very often simultaneous with two or three Cad programs, and

I had Dual Processor machines many years before.

I don't want to miss the ability to work with an other program, then

it's busy with a difficult task.

Does make a Quadro brain sense? huh.gif

Which one is the recommended operating system for the future with IC. ninja.gif