Maximum Sheet Usgae Problem?

tlehnhaeuser

Excuse my lack of physics ot trig knowledge. I though if someone does't this routinely they can help.

I have a Box 5" x 5" x 1" and want to figure out how many boxes I can wrap with a Roll of Paper that measures 24" x 100ft. Does anyone know the formula to figure out how to wrap the box for getting the most boxes out of this roll?

I tried drawing the paper as a sheemetal part, but they appears to be tens ways to sunday to wrapping it.

Any help is aprreciated.

Thanks

Tom

just taking a crack at this..

not sure if this is correct.. but

24x100=2400 sq ft... about.. 345600 sq inches

you have 70 square inches.. adding all the perimeter areas of the box.. meaning

5x5 for top and bottom.. thats 50... then you have all the short sides at 5x1 which is 5.. and you have 4 short sides.. thats 6 sides altogether..

so you have 50 then another 20.. so thats where I am getting the 70 sq inches total..

345600/70 = 4937 boxes can be wrapped ???.. I think... but I have never had to do this before.. and that is line to line.. with no overlaping

does this make sense.. ?

Edited by mmccall

HI TOM

FOR YOUR 24" X 100FT OF ROLL, I HAVE ATTACHED AN EXAMPLE GIVING OUR BOX DESIGN.

ONCE YOU MAKE THE BOX, UNFOLD IT AND MAKE A SQUARE/RECTANGLE DEPENDING UPON THE SHAPE. MEASURE THE SIZE.

IMPORTANT, THE UNIT SHOULD BE THE SAME.............

I HOPE THIS HELPS

BIMAL

BOX_SIZE_IRONCAD.pdf

Thank Max and Bimal,

Max, I don;t think that will work becuase it depends on how you plan to fold the wrapping, plus since this is a wrapping and not a box there needs to be extra for "waste".

Bimal, I think your approach helps but once again doesn;t it depend on how you plan to "fold" the wrapping? I not sure, but iwould think theree are numerous ways that could could fold a box to meet your needs. That being said I am assuming the the is a "wasteful" way to fold a box and an "optimized" way to fold a box to get the must out of the roll.

Am I right in my assumptions?

Thanks for all the help.

Tom

Tom-

Assuming no loss from cutting, my # is 368 boxes:

If you take a 5"x5" side and surround it with 1"x5" sides, and then tack the other 5"x5" on the right of that (lets call that the "ying") and then "yang" it (i.e. throw the last 5"x5" on the left side) and jam 'em together, you can fit them in a 12"x14" area, however 1" of the 14" can be yinged-and-yanged so you have a repeating pattern every 13". Sooo... you can fit 4 repeating "boxes" into a 24"x13" section of paper (with 126 sq-in. of scrap). Do that 92 times and BING: 368 boxes.... but don't screw up or your hosed.

Not sure if you want to cut it that close (er... pun kinda intended) or if you are looking for any overlap or anything. I know I got techno-jargin comming out of my ears here, so if you would like the decoder sketch, I won't be too offended.

And my mom said all those hours I spent playing Tetris were a waste of time...

Edited by Mike Twining

Tom-

Assuming no loss from cutting, my # is 368 boxes:...

And my mom said all those hours I spent playing Tetris were a waste of time...

15905[/snapback]

WOW! I guess I do need a decoder sketch biggrin.gif Thanks Mike.

FYI - The objective is to wrap the box pretty much like a christmas present, if that falls in line with your yings and yangs tongue.gif

WOW! I guess I do need a decoder sketch biggrin.gif  Thanks Mike.

FYI - The objective is to wrap the box pretty much like a christmas present, if that falls in line with your yings and yangs tongue.gif

15906[/snapback]

Well, I cheated then. My way dosen't provide for any overlap, but attached is the .ics file anyway (I tried to post a .jpeg/.jpg but it just hung the forum sad.gif )

Sounds to me like you need a slightly wider roll, or a slightly smaller box.

box1.ics

Tom,

My preliminary calculations assumed (wrapping the old fashioned way - one piece per wrap) a 1/2" overlap on the top of each box and a 1/2" overlap on each side (which really doesn't matter, since any overlap on the side will limit the number of wrappings across the 24" width to 3 instead of 4 (no overlap).

If this assumption is correct, you can get about 288 boxes out of the roll of wrapping paper.

Dave

just taking a crack at this..

not sure if this is correct.. but

24x100=2400 sq ft... about.. 345600 sq inches

you have 70 square inches.. adding all the perimeter areas of the box.. meaning

5x5 for top and bottom.. thats 50... then you have all the short sides at 5x1 which is 5.. and you have 4 short sides.. thats 6 sides altogether..

so you have 50 then another 20.. so thats where I am getting the 70 sq inches total..

345600/70 = 4937 boxes can be wrapped ???.. I think... but I have never had to do this before..  and that is line to line.. with no overlaping

does this make sense.. ?

15896[/snapback]

That should be 200 square feet, not 2400.