IronCAD and Rhino users step forward

Shaun Murphy

Marketing would like know who uses Rhino along with IronCAD in their design work. Please specify the following in your response.

Company name and what types of prducts you produce.

How often do you use Rhino with IronCAD?

What are each products strengths?

Thank You ahead of time

Guest jkim522093

Hi Shaun,

This is J.H.Kim, and our company is also distributing the Rhino 3D in

Korea, and the major target for Rhino 3D is Product Design industry

because Rhino 3D is really powerful NURBS basis surafec modeling tool.

Some of the companies use Rhino 3D with MCAD tools because Rhino is

good as a companion modeler for solid basis MCAD tools.

(Recently, Rhino release the free plug-in that Solidworks can read the

Rhino file directly.)

In general, there are two reasons for the designer to use Rhino with Solid

MCAD;

1.As the solid basis MCAD has the limitation to the surface modeling, Rhino

is good for companion modeling for the surface. As Rhino has good feature

for various types of file import/export. the designer can send the file to

Rhino for the surface modeling and then import that into MCAD for the

other job. And vice versa.

2.Rhino is good for the file translator especially for good IGES translator.

For example, one of our customer Sorim is using Rhino to import the IGES

file from their subcontractors, and then modify or do something in Rhino.

And then finally send it to IronCAD for final work.

(Rhino could import and export IGES with various options to comply woth

various applications like MCAD, CAM and so on.)

Hope the above to be help.

JH

Hi Shaun

Great to hear that!

I use Rhino for unfolding cones and Loft faces. Which works perfect.

Best way to export from IC to Rhino is Step.

Rhino has good translators, dxf export, pluggins, analysis, face and line tools.

I miss in Rhino the scene browser, Triball, easy of use, the sexy surface, the shaded rendering to work with, anchors and the green help lines in the sketch area.

Which is all in IC

I use IC 90% and Rhino 10%

I am artist an designer.

One of my hardest problem with IC is the bad dxf export for 2d laser cut.

3d export for Stereolithography or 3d print works perfect.

www.carloborer.ch

www.cbindustries.ch

Hi Shaun,

We have just started learning Rhino for its robust surfacing capabilities. I also know that Rhino and other products (that will remain nameless) can have total associativity and interoperability between them which makes some an ideal solution.

Guest tcooksey

Hi Shaun,

Troy Cooksey here. I am a toy engineer/designer in Cincinnati Ohio.

Iron Cad is my primary design package, but I heavily use Rhino to process data from a variety of 2D and 3D sources ( Illustrator drawings to 3D files from animation studios). I build many free form shapes in Rhino that I bring into Iron Cad and integrate them into the parts or start with these forms as the basis of a part. I then shell them and add ribwork and mechanical details. The combination of the two packages has worked really well for me.

Most every project I do these days utilizes both very heavily. Rhino's big weaknesses are lack of a feature list and shell command. Iron Cad's big weakness is the lack of strong sweeps, lofts and curve network surface generation tools, but it handles imported shapes from Rhino extremely well ( anything from spaceships and robots to squirt guns and baby doll bodies).

I could not get along without either one.

quote:Originally posted by tcooksey :

Hi Shaun,

Troy Cooksey here. I am a toy engineer/designer in Cincinnati Ohio.

Iron Cad is my primary design package, but I heavily use Rhino to process data from a variety of 2D and 3D sources ( Illustrator drawings to 3D files from animation studios). I build many free form shapes in Rhino that I bring into Iron Cad and integrate them into the parts or start with these forms as the basis of a part. I then shell them and add ribwork and mechanical details. The combination of the two packages has worked really well for me.

Most every project I do these days utilizes both very heavily. Rhino's big weaknesses are lack of a feature list and shell command. Iron Cad's big weakness is the lack of strong sweeps, lofts and curve network surface generation tools, but it handles imported shapes from Rhino extremely well ( anything from spaceships and robots to squirt guns and baby doll bodies).

I could not get along without either one.

id=quote>
id=quote>

Hi Troy;

Thanks for the feedback. Would it be OK to use some of what you said as a quote that we would like to use in a Inovate Rhino joint promotion? It will really help to show that people out there have already found the combination helpful.

Also let me know how comfortable you are with using your name or company name or just to use the general description you gave in your e-mail.

Regards

Shaun M.

Guest tcooksey

Shaun,

I have no problem with you using my comments, name, and company name in your promotion. I would like a chance to review the information before going to print or web, though. If you are interested in any example images, contact me via e-mail and I can give you my phone number to contact me( if you do not currently have it in your records, or you may call me directly if you do ).

Troy Cooksey

Turlingdrome Design

Hello Shaun,

My experience with Rhino is limited. By testing and evaluating it with a potential surface modelling project I found it to be a very capable tool that could offset the surface modeling limitations of IronCad. Even with this limited experience my conclusions are almost identical to the previous posts. In summary:

IronCad and Rhino are essential tools in a designers toolbox.

Geoffrey